Best speaker cable for Krell/Dynaudio?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the best matching cable for my system. Any advice will be helpful. My components are
- Krell Evo 505 SACD player
- Krell Phantom II preamp
- Krell Evo 402e power amp
- Dynaudio C4 speakers

I use Nordost Cast ic's, Krell Vector HC and Nordost Vishnu power cords.

I'm now considering the following ones:
- Audioquest Redwood
- Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7
- Nordost Tyr 2
- Crystal Reference
- Purist Dominus
- Synergistic Element Tungsten
- Tara Labs 0.8
- Kimber 6065

So, what do you think?
ssblnt99

Showing 12 responses by bo1972

First of all the cables you listed all have totally different properties. They will all give a different outcome.

I would listen to as many you can borrow. I do not think that Nordost is a good combination with your set. I sold Nordost for over 9 years of time. I even owned the Valhalla for over 12 years of time.
Audio is about understanding all different parts where you Judge a cable for.

I also sold Tara Labs in the past. AQ and Tarlabs bought give a sharp individual focus.

Choose about 5 music numbers you know very well. You need to make it as simple as possible for yourself.

You can choose different kind of music you all like.

Also for the future it is important to use Always the same numbers. For people with less knowledge this makes it a lot more easy.

I even helped people to focus on part for part during comparing cables.

When you read my story about Total Sound. You know a little where you can Judge the cables for.

Good luck an enjoy it. It can be a lot of fun......
The Taralabs still uses copper. I have proven that I can create a higher level in blacks, timing, sharpness in individual focus, resolution, differences in Heights and stage depth with silver.

Yesterday I received my new Audioquest Wel Signature xlr inerconnect.

Mannnnnnn.......this is from another world. I will write a review in a few weeks.

Later this year I will buy the Wel Signature loudspeakercable as well.

The black level of the Redwood is stunning. Also listen to 2nd and 3th voices of a recoding. Silver let you hear these things in a recoding much easier than copper can.

The Redwood uses almost 40% silver. You also can hear it back in the level of Decay in the left and right corners of your speakers during listening.

Audioquest is extreme precise in letting you hear all different parts of a recoding separately during listening.
I heard yesterday to my new Wel Signature xlr.

After 30 hours burning I had back my depth. This cable does things I never heard in my life by any cable. Not even the Odin can do these things.

In about 10 days I will write a review about it.

I can garantee you that the silver and Audioquest their technique do things other brands only can dream of.

Yesterday evening every single song I played I became into a trance.

I never heard so much difference in Heights of voices and instruments of songs I heard hundreds of times.

The air around voices and instruments made the physical apperance going to a new level. Nordost is still not able to give this level of touchable sound.

The difference is that you hear all the different parts with their acoustic information just by them selves. The Odin makes more one part of it togheter.

I have auditioned the Valhalla 2 this years. Hahahahahaha.....they don't even come close in black level, height level, 3 dimensional physical appearance. I hope to give presentations on shows to let people hear it.Because hearing is believing.

Today I phoned for over 15 minutes with the Boss of Audioquest Europe about this cable.

I said: people need to hear this cable. People need to know what it does and what it brings.

This is the openness I want to see and hear in audio.

I want to share more information with people. Sharing give better sound for every one. It is that simple!
I went from the new Wild Blue Yonder to the Wel.

I also will change my pure silver Acapella to Wel.

I think it would be interesting to compare the Omega with the Wel Signature.

I also hope to compare the Wel with Transparent best cables. One of my contacts does Transparent. He visits me sometimes.

You can see in my threads and aswers what I use.
That is why I will buy the Wel Signature loudspeakercable this year as well. I want to do it in parts, that is a lot more fun to do. When you own it all directly, it is not that special anymore.

I have put a lot of effort in resolution, articulation, blacks, stage depth and width, sound realism and a physical individual focus of instruments and voices.

The Wel puts music to a much higher level. In all your recordings you thought you know well you hear a lot more height differences. But mann this is the most musical silver cable I ever heard so far.

The air it puts around voices make them so much more intimate. The level of emotion what you feel during playback is a lot higher.

I have spoken to the head of Audioquest Europe yesterday. I invited him to come soon. I want to do something with it. This level of sound need to be shared.

This is listening to music at the max!
You can read back everything I wrote......you click on my name. Here you see the threads, answers and reviews.
One thing I know for sure; silver reveals more details. But some gear are not able to use it. They need copper to get an involving sound. This I heard many times at different clients.

But they have less detail and precision at the end. That is why I love comparison and demos.

The difficult part for me is that I am aware that audio can become addictive. I have a big influence on that part. You still need to protect your clients. I had some hard discussions about this. When I think a client is focussing too much on sound. I will interrupt him and say that this will not make him happy.
The Wel sets instrument and voices so much more apparent. This is an essential part for highend. That is why I said many times; Nordost is incomplete. Because they are not able to make instruments and voices apparent as the AQ can. You need the black level to put it all in place. This is what I can make clear to people during a demo with AQ. The level of blacks make it understandable in only a few seconds.

Listening to music where al parts are physical more touchable makes your smile on your face so much bigger during listening. The emotion inside is going to a higher level.

That is why you want to feel the emotion of your beloved music!
Dynaudio have there own properties. Compared to other brands
they sound more involving. They can give a good individual
focus and the C4 can build a deep and wide stage good. Not
very good cause the crossovers build not an extreme wide and
deep stage like Magico.

The most Krell can build depth as well. Most Krell's I
auditioned have not an extreme sharp individual focus of
instruments and voices. What is the overall sound of this amp.
I have heard some very musical amps of Krell, but others
sounded more lean or even harsh.

Because all the properties togheter ( and acoustics) create
the overall sound and build the stage you will hear.

When you are aware of this you can make decisions of which
cable you will use. Depends what you prefer and which parts of
the overall sound you want to change.

Why?

Because the brands of cables you name have their own
properties. They have a different overall sound. And they
build the stage differently.

Most people who have this as a hobby don't know the
properties. So most new 'tools' they bring in will be more a
guess than that it will give what they need and want.
Good question Mikey, but I do not know your speakers and your amp. I only talk about those things I have auditioned.

Brands Like Transparent and Kimber are very easy to use and never go wrong. But Transparent only uses copper. I have made big steps in resolution, physical stage, drive, speed and even a lot in differences in height of a recording. These parts are less apparent with the best copper cables. I win many many shootouts against expensive copper cables for a few years now. it is not a coincidence anymore.

Audioquest and Taralabs are also easy to use, but less easy than the 2 above.

When you can use silver in your set you will have more resolution and a sharper individual focus. But it depends on the properties of the rest of your set.