Best Sounding used amplifier under 1000???

Looking to get into a used 2 or 3 channel power amplifier to power my Paradigm Studio Reference 80 ver. 1 speakers. Looking at around 200-250 watts per channel or such. I am currently using a Xtant 3300c (60x2, 360x1) high end car amplifier and it sounds so wonderfull but looking to get into more power and with possibly better overall sound (how much more better will it be I dont know?). I'm using Monster Cable M Series CX-4 Bi-wire cable for the speakers. My limit is $1000 used for the amplifier. Please post any comments and suggestions retaining to this idea.

Thanks!
asi_tek

Showing 3 responses by buckingham

I second the Rogue 88 amp. Upgrade the 12AX7's to Mullard CV4004's and you're on your way! Yes the Magnum upgrade is worth it IMO. Start with the normal version and swap out the tubes I mentioned and you'll be most of the way there.
With this amp you will be hearing the music.
The EAD is great. I own the EAD Ultradisk 2000 Reference CD player and it just killed Musical Fidelity A3 CD, Bel Canto DAC 1 and a few others. EAD has great products and they look awesome with the Jeff Rowland faceplate. If you can find one, let me know because I want one too!
The Mullard CV4004 is a Military grade version of the 12AX7. It sounds better than stock tubes but costs about 5X as much.... They go for about $50 each.