Best sounding turntable and cartridge for $1100

I have seen a lot of turntable and cartridges packages in  $1000- $1100, such as the Project RPM3 with the Sumiko BP-2 MC.   Project Xperience 1 with a Sumiko Pearl MM;  Rega Planar 3 with a Elys II cartridge. 

I have formerly owned a Rega 3-24 with Elys II  and a Project Carbon DC with Ortofon 2M Red (which I did not like at all) . Would like to try something different, but can live with the above brands depending on their overall performance 

Need recommendations for turntable/cartridge new or used combo that punches far above its price of  $1100.  Thank you

sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by hedgehog

In my opinion, you're better off allocating as much as your comfortable with towards the cartridge. I believe you estimated 20% listening would be vinyl. With clean, undamaged lp's, retipping should be many years down the road. I have the version 1 Virtuoso on my Aries Scout, and the sound quality is fantastic. Like you, I have a low tolerance for brightness in a system. Have you considered the Pioneer PLX-1000? While I haven't heard it, there seems to be pretty decent feedback online. While not in vogue these days, a Grado Platinum or Sonata (I've owned both), might be worth considering.