Best sounding integrated between $1500-$3000

There seems to be a lot more new integrated amps on the market recently, and also a fair amount of used pieces on AG. I have seen other threads in the past on AG asking:.... "Best integrated Period"

I have even posted about older integrateds, and was surprised at the response for Musical Fidelity "300" series IAs. There are ads for used good to very good condition integrateds like YBA, Edge, Krell, Redgum, Pathos, Audio by Van Altine, etc.. I think the question should be amended to include the attached rider: :What is (not only) the best sounding integrated amps BUT best value between $1500-$3000??
sunnyjim

Showing 4 responses by sunnyjim

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Your suggestions and advice are extremely helpful. I appreciate Johnny 53 endorsement of the Rogue Cronus Magnum which I am leaning toward. Though, the Rogue Sphinx is less money and has gotten very good reviews. (Many members claim the CM is much better than the new little brother) I am still NOT sure if the Rogue CM will make that big a difference in improving the sound quality of the Acoustic Zen Adagios
speakers; and, I hate even simple biasing of tubes which the CM requires bi-monthly or so.

Audiolabyinth and Mapman make interesting recommendations with the Krell S300i and 400xi.I have seen them on listed AG hundreds of times. I have read that the 300i is somewhat quirky in that the remote volume when pushed produces a chuffing sound from volume knob. I believe the 300i is newer and surely looks very smart in silver. However, the older 400xi may be more "glitch free", but MIGHT NOT SOUND AS GOOD AS 300i I have never heard either.

There may be a dark horse in the mix. Musical Fidelity A300 integrated. I once posted a thread to see if there was any creedance to the claims that the MF "300" series produced some outstanding amps. The A300 has even a decent built-in. MM/MC stage. The Soundstage review highly praised the amp, but that was back in 2002, so who knows if the piece is still viable. There are NO A-300'S on AG at the moment. Though, I may have a lead on one. Thanks again, Jimbo
To Mapman, you provide many good points of comparison about the Rogue Sphinx integrated and the Rogue CM. For me,the choice has come down to those two integrateds.

Unfortunately, I have no way of auditioning either. I have seen the 3 recent reviews of the Sphinx which were positive as to its functions and sound quality. Both have the same phono stages which I can use now, or at a later date. The Sphinx minimalist appearance does not bother me.

However I would hate to find out that after a several long listening sessions, I loathed it, and then suffer buyer's remorse (and all that happy horseshit) that I should have bought the Cronos Magnum. There are one or two reviews of the CM I have found which are equally as positive.

Nevertheless, I need to buy something soon because I sold "half" my separates, and have no music. I have the Acoustic Zen Adagios which are 6 ohms at 88db output. Mapman claims or speculates, the CM may be less consistent than the Sphinx in sound quality because it uses a full tube complement. The Sphinx uses Hypex D amp stage which I hope is better than the typical ICE devices used in most class D amps. I happily used Red Dragon M-500 digital mono blocks for three years and want to place them in a good home as soon as possible home. I am tired of all these freakin audio boxes I accumulated when the upgrade bug hit me 5 years ago

Interestingly, I getting to the point, I am not as particular or critical in my listening sessions, but just look for good musicality and good performance from an integrated. I had a Creek SE5350 Classic for 5 years and loved it because it really sounded like music( most of the time)

To Jimmy 2615, There was an Concentra I for sale on AG about 2 months ago. but the seller wanted close to retail for it, and it has been discontinued and was replaced by II version. I have read many positive testimonials of its excellent sound quality. It also looks very sharp in silver
To Donir, Could you provide a brief overview of the sound quality of the CM?? Was the bass tight?? Did it have a high degree of musicality?? What did you like about the sound the most?? Lastly, what speakers did you use with the Rogue CM??

Your comments will be appreciated. As I mentioned I have no way of auditioning either the Sphinx or Cronos Magnus, unless I want to spend $500 to fly round trip to Los Angeles from Honolulu, Hawaii. Thanks
Don, Thank you for the comments about the CM performance. it was very helpful and convincing.