Best sounding integrated between $1500-$3000

There seems to be a lot more new integrated amps on the market recently, and also a fair amount of used pieces on AG. I have seen other threads in the past on AG asking:.... "Best integrated Period"

I have even posted about older integrateds, and was surprised at the response for Musical Fidelity "300" series IAs. There are ads for used good to very good condition integrateds like YBA, Edge, Krell, Redgum, Pathos, Audio by Van Altine, etc.. I think the question should be amended to include the attached rider: :What is (not only) the best sounding integrated amps BUT best value between $1500-$3000??
sunnyjim

Showing 5 responses by mapman

I would be seriously considering any VAC in good condition that can be had for less than $3000. ARC also. Rogue would also be hard to go wrong with.

All these are tube integrateds, so of course pre-requisite is to use them with speakers and in a setup that is amenable to tube amplification as opposed to Solid state.

For SS, I would look no further than a good Class D integrated, Like Bel Canto or Wyred.
THose two Krell are always near the top of my list when I look at SS integrateds. Have heard them....very nice! I do worry sometimes about functional reliability of newer Krell, in that they have more often than most proven to be quirky in dealer showrooms.

Classe is another good option that ranks high for me, along with the two I mentioned in the earlier post.
I've heard Rogue Cronus Magnum run Magnepan MMGs (with and without a sub)and results were quite good accordingly.

I've also heard Rogue tube amps run larger Maggies solo, but not the Cronus Magnum.

Have not heard Rogue sphinx yet but can vouch that a tube/Class D hybrid approach (I use ARC tube pre-amp with Class D power amps similarly) can deliver a lot of the best characteristics of both SS and tubes in general together with all kinds of music.

I would expect a significant difference in sound with Sphinx versus Cronus Magnum. Which is better will likely come down to personal preference based on listening habits more than anything else. I would probably not go CM without hearing SPhinx first, but if I tried the Sphinx and the results meet my expectations I would probably not look any further, but that's just me. That's because I suspect the Sphinx would be the more consistent performer track to track, system to system versus the CM, which will shine more uniquely in some cases but perhaps less so in others.

Of course CM is way cool retro-looking, compared to more conventional looking Sphynx, but that's pretty obvious. :-)

I'm a big Rogue fan and in general would not shy away from any Rogue gear, if the application is right.
"Sounded like the benefits of tube & ss without the negatives of either, IMO."

There you go!