Best sound out of a computer

One way to get a good sound out of a computer seems to be using a converter like the waveterminal u24 to an external DAC.
But for somebody who is starting a computer based all digital source system, would a combination D/A converter/digital preamp offer great sound? The specific model I am refering to is the Bel Canto e.One DAC3. Has anybody ever tried to use this setup with the digital processor/DAC serving as the preamp? It seems like it could offer great results from what literature is on the internet. Meridian also had a similar processor in the mid 90s but i don't think it would work very well for a computer based system because it was made before USB ports were around or common at least. Bel Canto and Meridian both claim that digital gain in the preamp of their products offers a cleaner sound. Has anybody ever heard this kind of setup?
I know the system would be a little unconventional but if what Meridian and Bel Canto says is true it could be groundbreaking for those who don't use a turntable or other analogue sources.

thanks
jared
jrod_215

Showing 1 response by dbb10024

I will let you know my opinion soon. I just bought the Bel Canto e.One DAC3. They have a 14 day home trial. I will compare it to my lite dac 38. I use an m-audio audiophile 2496 sound card for the SPDIF it works beautifully.