Best Small Sub

I have been working on building a setup for 50/50 music to HT. I am only running a 5.1 system. I have Dynaudio Audience 52s (LCR) and 42s (SLSR). I have a Halo A52 to power all the speakers. Currently I am using a Denon 3805 as a pre/probut will be upgrading that later on. I want to buy a sub next but it needs to be a small footprint. I dont really have any room in my 15X17 room with 15 foot ceilings. My seating arrangment has the LCR and TV 8 feet in front so it is very overpowering. I know it would be best if I used a large sub but would rather start with one small then buy another later on if i can make room. Can you offer any help of subs that would really sound great and mesh well with my system? I was looking at a sunfire and velodyne SPL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cmil

Showing 2 responses by tiverson2000

Hi, I have both a sunfire and velodyne hgs-12. I was just using a sunfire for both HT and music but did not sound right, in fact my HT system was not the best system for music. I listen to music more than Ht. I had to build a seperate system for music (kids and wife have taken over my living room and wanted a good music system)and I have tried the sunfire with my music system, I do not like the sunfire for music, It's a great HT sub but it was just not a musical sub, I could not get it to blend in and it overpowered my totem model 1 monitors no matter where I placed it. I bought a used velodyne hgs-12 for music and that sounded a better and more musical than the sunfire. it blended in better and kept up with my monitors and it was not overpowering. The velodyne would have made a decent HT sub, but the sunfire seem louder and more powerfull(great for HT). if I was to have one system is would the sub choice would be velodyne because of the music but, for HT the sunfire fills my 18 x 20 foot room with explosions and loud deep bass in HT. hoped This helped

Tony
i can't bypass the amps on my velodyne hgs-12 and sunfire mkII. I wouldn't think you would want to bypass the sub's amp since they are matched to the driver and I would not want to put the extra burden on you stereo amp. as far as the 2 super juniors, for music I heard 2 sub are better although, I'm satisfied with my one hgs-12 for my music. On Ht, one should do fine if it puts out lots of spl.

Tony