Best small, desktop speakers, $500 or under (new or used)

What small, nearfield (3 feet) desktop speakers do you use or like?
I'm looking to fit out my desk with something good but not expensive.
Music tastes are varied and I don't care about deep bass. I'd rather have good mids, highs.
Spending is capped at $500 max. Open to used, new. Would power these with Adcom separates, 60wpc.
Elac? Ascend? KEF? What would you advise?

128x128hilde45
The Audioengine A2+ is easily within your budget. It has been favorably assessed by Stereophile; it's powered; it's available in wireless or wired configurations (I use the wired version with an Audioquest DragonFly Red and Jitterbug interposed between an iPhone 11 and the speakers); and...they sound quite nice for the price! In fact, I bought a "refurbished" set from Audiengine for ~$200 and they appeared "as new" and were fully warrantied by the company. For your purposes, they might work perfectly!
Good evening,

Last year at the Axpona show I heard a small teriffic sounding powered speaker with an unusual name Vanatoo.

The folks listening in the demo room at Axpona were amazed at the big sound from those tiny speakers.

I read many of the reviews and online demos and the feedback was very favorable. 

Recently I did purchase the smaller Vanatoo model Transparent Zero at $359 and have been very impressed.

The internal amplifiers make a huge difference.

Had the Vanatoos set up on a solid oak dining room table and listening to music from a laptop,  and was amazed to feel the bass through the oak table as tiny speakers often lack bass.

Just another option to consider!

Thanks 
Dan
The vanatoo’s punch way above their weight, er, size.  Really dynamic for their size.

I was going to mention the Audioengine A2+ as well.  I have the the B2 which is 2 A2+ smashed together into one unit.  I also use an audioquest red dragonfly and jitterbug to go wired.  Def a noticeable difference between that and bluetooth.

The red is sexy for sure!

TMR has the bigger brotherIn white, the A5+ for $310...

I have a pair of powered studio speakers on my desktop next to the monitor.

Adam Audio A5x
These were highly recommended by my son. He is a professional musician who uses these for mixing...and sheer enjoyment. I have not been disappointed! Used they are in your price range, but then you have a spare amp.