Best Server To Run Roon Core

Hi Folks,

I don’t currently run ROON, but would like to begin correctly in order to give it a chance - and I understand that server (hardware) on which Roon core is installed is important for SQ (due to noise reduction and other factors).

What are the best hardware for SQ and usability where ROON core should be installed and why (be it audiophile dedicated servers or modified PCs)? Please comment on the rest of your setup for context if you could.

Thank you in advance.

Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
If you have a streamer and a server (two separate units): put the first good Ethernet Switch or Filter in front of the streamer. If you have two of these Switches or Filters.... well, you know what to do.
Honestly you don't need to spend huge $ on a Roon Core platform. Most of these devices people are recommending are for use with USB direct connection, if that is your intended use then by all means spend the cash. But if all you want is the ability to try Roon build yourself a Rpi 3 or 4 with an allo digione hat, install OS of choice with RAAT roon endpoint and run core via ethernet from an old pc/mac if you have one. Cheapest way to get Roon integrated into your audio system. Running this over your network via ethernet doesn't have the isolation issues you find running the core platform directly via USB. 
I have the ENO filter between an Etherregen and Innuos Statement,  if I take it out there is a big drop in sound quality.

I purchased a used Antipodes Core to put Roon Core on.  It is definitely better than running Roon Core and Endpoint on the Innuos.  The Antipodes converts to DSD 512 in Roon without a problem but I have recently found Roon sounds better with this turned off.  I haven't compared this set up with Experimental Mode yet. 

I also have a Terminator Plus and Iris DDC and agree the combination is a bit step up from USB and using the clock out from the TP to the Iris has an amazing effect of clarity, timing and presence.  Yes, it has a major positive effect on the Statements USB which I was not expecting.
Hello everyone. Thank you for this valuable information. This was a huge help and I greatly appreciate it. It was a tough decision but I’ve decided to go with two of the ENO Ethernet Filter Ag over the EtherRegen. They are both great products but after speaking with some of my electrical engineering friends , I didn’t want to add another powered unit to my already existing quiet system. Thanks again for the help.
@anzaanimalclinic

Thank you for sharing. This is precisely the kind of information I was hoping for when starting this thread.

Regarding:  "I purchased a used Antipodes Core to put Roon Core on. It is definitely better than running Roon Core and Endpoint on the Innuos."

It is both interesting, and a bit concerning that an excellent piece of equipment like the Statement would not be able to handle both functions as well as only being an endpoint. Could you elaborate on what kind of sonic benefits you might have heard when placing the core separately from the Statement box?

- Everyone, thank your for sharing you experiences.