Best Server To Run Roon Core

Hi Folks,

I don’t currently run ROON, but would like to begin correctly in order to give it a chance - and I understand that server (hardware) on which Roon core is installed is important for SQ (due to noise reduction and other factors).

What are the best hardware for SQ and usability where ROON core should be installed and why (be it audiophile dedicated servers or modified PCs)? Please comment on the rest of your setup for context if you could.

Thank you in advance.

Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
Hello all that have commented on my question. I definitely appreciate the suggestion. My thing is at the end of the day, I don’t want to re-event the wheel and start the whole process all over from the beginning.ive already been down that rabbit hole and don’t want to experience that again. Those who have truly dived into the whole streaming process understand where I’m coming from. I’ve owned some of the best and expensive streamers and DAC/ Streamers out there  As far as DAC and Streamers are concerned, I finally found a unit that does Hi Res, TIDAL with MQA and Qobuz well without any hiccups. Having experience with computers, at some point they will require upgrades and act funny. And then comes the disaster, dropping your music while you’re listening. True DAC/ Streamers offer better security of less disconnect. The Cary Audio DMS600 uses the flagship VERITA Series AKM4497EQ VELVET SOUND architecture premium 32-bit DAC. The only reason why I haven’t switched to the DMS700 based on the other thread is because most have switched from the DMS500 or DMS550 but haven’t heard anything about the benefits of folks switching from the DMS600 to the DMS700 and see an improvement in sound quality. The DMS600 is by far superior to the 500 or 550. The 600 was there Reference piece last year and did extremely well against other top of the line streamers. I just want to see if there are any other add-ons that can help even if an individual that has owned a top of the line Lumin and added an additional item to improve the SQ. Don’t get me wrong, the Cary withe the Roon Nucleus sounds incredible. It’s like a high performance vehicle or your home, you always want to improve something, lol.

Thanks
@decathlon1991,

If you would like to further improve the SQ of Cary, try ENO Ethernet Filter Ag between your Cary and the router. It’s based on a same principle as EtherREGEN but works passively. You can read about it on this thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/streaming-sound-quality-want-the-very-best-sound-quality-netw...

Thanks all for sharing. These experiences are great and definitely helpful.

ENO sounds very promising!

I have the EtherRegen and like what it does in the system. I tried to take it out again and again because its pricy but always unsuccessful because sound is degraded ever so slightly after taking it out, and its enough to drive one crazy. So I put it back in :)
As mentioned, it is actively powered, I use an external power supply for it, which I find to add SQ benefit as well. I like the fact that it also accepts optical fiber as I have a long run to my listening room and I also use the benefit that it is a multi purpose switch to run ethernet to the other equipment in that room from the ’A’ side of the Etherregen. 
Let me better understand. With my connection, I go from the Router (Audioquest Vodka Ethernet Carver) to my Roon Nucleus ( Audioquest Vodka Ethernet Cable) and then to my Cary DMS600. So my question is will the ENO Ethernet Filter Ag or the EtherRegen be placed from the Router to the Roon Nucleus or from the the Roon Nucleus to the Cary?

Thanks