Best SACD/CD Player up to 3000 street price?

I want to upgrade my digital source from a CAL CL-10 to either a better CD player or CD/SACD. Can't decide whether to go with Sony SCD1, XA777es, or just go with a great used CD player like Meridian, Wadia, etc - or wait longer for a great universal player. Associated equip is Musical Fidelity Nuvista M3 integrated, Cardas Golden Reference interconnects and speaker wires and Sonus Faber Electra Amator II's. Advice welcome.
bitou

Showing 1 response by ivanj

I would audition one of the Marantz players. The 8260 is multichannel that is reported to be a premium version of the acclaimed Phillips 1000, there is a new 8300 coming out. I own a SA14, replaced a Wadia 850 with it. It mates very well with the Cardas Golden Reference and with better Transparent cables. The 14 is being updated; the Mk2 version is a tweaked version of the original but I do not know all the details. I find the M players more detailed yet less fatuiging than the Sonys, which are excellent in their own right but not my choice. To make an analogy, I would say if you like the sound of the Cardas GR you will like the sound of the 14.