Best SACD-CD Player under $1000?

I am looking for a SACD player that also does a nice job with redbook CDs for under $1000 any suggestions? I thought my next upgrade would be speakers but I think I am changing my mind. I know there is a difficulty in getting both a good SACD and CD player in the same unit at this price point. I listened to a T+A SACD 1245R a couple of weeks ago and it was outstanding but at $5K I am not a player. I have a Forte Model 4A amp and a Forte F-44 preamp, tara cables and ICs and Sound Dynamics 300ti speakers. My current CD front end is an Audio Alchemy DDS Pro with a DDE v3.0. I would be open to two units if necessary. I have been looking at a Music Hall cd-25 or a Rotel rcd1072 for redbook, but don't have a direction on SACD.
Ag insider logo xs@2xhoopster

Showing 2 responses by hoopster

Great responses, thanks to everyone! The Denon 2910 seems to be a popular choice. What does one give up with the 2910 from the 3910? Are the sonics of the 3910 enough better to justify the price difference? I have never owned a piece of Denon equipment but my notion is that the build quality is pretty good. The denons are interesing because if I want to do something else later they are probably better than any DVD player I have in the house and I could use them as such. I am not opposed to mods and have never owned one except my AR turntable that I have lived happily with for 15 years. (I love the vinyl but frankly only play them once in a while, CDs are just too easy, hence my interest in SACDs.) It seems when you have a component modded you need to be willing to live with it from then on. Richards, interestingly enough I have 2 Toshiba 3960s and a 3980, (all purchased cheap off ebay) that are either employed as a DVD or in my bedroom system playing with an old Yamaha int. amp and some Infinity RS1s. I had planned at some point to ship one off to Reference Mods. But, the Toshibas are cheaply built and I just don't know about having something modded with such a flimsy chasis. These Toshibas don't sound bad in stock form (I have added feet)and I have recommended them to several friends who think spending more than $500 on a "stereo" is insane.