Best Rock Cartridge for Rega $600

Okay - I'm back on the cartridge replacement kick. Not sure if MC or MM will be best for the genre of music I listen to - almost exclusively classic rock. I'm intrigued by MC and am leaning that way although, again, not sure if that's the best bet for rock.

I'll be mounting it on a Rega P5/RB-700 combo and playing through the built in phono-stage of my Muscal Fidelity A300 integrated and some Von Schweikert VR-1's.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1 - Dynamic: I listen to classic rock / classic hard rock almost exclusively so this is a must

2 - Good bass and treble extension: I tend to be happiest with cartridges that may be considered a tad bright by some (i.e. Goldring 1042, Rega Exact...)

3 - Great tracker: I especially want something that will trace inner grooves well and therefor minimize inner groove distortion - probably a line contact stylus.

4 - Trying to stay under $600 and if it's MC, must be over .35mv and MM or high output MC over 3.5mv. Probably going to preclude high output MCs.

5 - Won't hum badly on a Rega table - this puts the Grado's out of the running...

I know I'm asking for a lot! This is just such a difficult deal and there's not real way to "test" these, so I'm hoping for some advice.

I've got experience with the Rega Exact and Goldring 1042, although not on my Rega P5. Here are some others I've been thinking about:

Shelter 301/501 - read that they're not the best at inner groove tracking though

Goldring Eroica Lx - Low output MC @ .5mv (leaning heavily towards this cartidge - really liked the 1042 on my old MMF table)

Benz Ace (low) - Low Output MC @ .4mv

Clearaudio Aurum Beta S (wood body) - MM 3.5mv

Goldring 1042 - MM 6.5mv

Thanks for any input and don't limit yourself to the ones listed, these are just some I've read about.

Please let me know which Rega spacers to use with the cartridge you recommend, if you know that, so I have a heads up on which to buy. I can't use the usual Expressimo, etc. VTA adjusters on the RB-700 arm since it uses a 3 point mounting system - I have to use Rega spacers.

THANKS!

Cole
slate1

Showing 1 response by goatwuss

HANDS DOWN Denon DL103R, available from Audiocubes @ $250. HOWEVER - I don't know what the phono is like in your preamp. Is it just a MM phono? If so - You'll need to find a step up tranny - should be able to find one and stay in budget. We're talking about a 0.3mv or so cartridge, needs a lot of gain, but worth seeking out the high gain phono.

Also - I don't know much abour your arm. the rb700... how is it different than the rb600 that I have on my P25? Anyway - if it's basically the same, you've got to find the money to upgrade the arms wiring and the stock counterweight to the michell counterweight. Also - Just as important, is the Twl Hifi Mod AKA gluing two bullet fishing weights to the sides of your tonearm bearing bolts. Makes Rega arm effective mass more appropriate for stiff Denon cartridges. Do this - and you have a SERIOUS hifi arm comparing with those in the $$$$$ No need to space vta even, armtube a little under parallel, just right for these cartridges to ROCK