Best Rock Albums in 2009, so far

I would like to nominate the album: Keep It Hid - Dan Auerbach. From 2008 I reaaly liked Only by the Night - Kings of Leon
perrew
Sugar Mountain Live at Canterbury House 1968 - Neil Young (I know it's from last year, but I love listening to it in the evening)
Dylan's Together Through Life is his best new material since Time Out of Mind. The double vinyl is well recorded, flat & quiet, and includes the CD.
Well that can't be, since Love and Theft was itself (yet) better than Time Out of Mind. But Together is good, huh? is it an all analog affair? I imagine not.
There is variation in SQ between songs, and a reference to Pro Tools in the notes. SQ is generally excellent. His voice holds up pretty well-- more old master than old croaker. The album has blues flourishes not heard from Dylan in a long time, and some of the best lyrics ever about the high cost of romance.
Katy Perry -- "One of the Boys"

Hot and Cold
and
I kissed a girl
are my favorite tracks.
The audio quality is very fine too -- no glare
or over-punchiness.

I also plan to pick up Lady Gaga -- The Fame (2008).
02-26-09: Shadorne
U2 No Line on the Horizon

03-08-09: Nilthepill
Just picked up u2's no line on the horizon. Exquisite.
This from U2 and Bono non fan.

04-06-09: Timbrepitch
I would also recommend "No Line On The Horizon" by U2. I am a U2 fan and have been disappointed with their last two albums, but "No Line...." is great.

Good music but terrible recording. Have you guys managed to crank up the volume and listen at moderate to high volume levels say 75dB? I am disappointed of not being able to enjoy my favourite track "Magnificent" on the CD that lasted less than 5 minutes in the player. I am not sure whether it would go back into the CDP after the disastrous outcome.
Jaded Sun Gypsy Trip is one of the best albums I have heard this year. Also from last year Back Door Slam - Roll Away is a mighty fine album. Both of these sound great to me.
Some good ones listed already. I'd add:

Jeff Beck "Performing This Week"
Don Dixon & The Jump Rabbits "Nu Look"
Alejandro Escovedo "Real Animal"

IMHO, only the Beck record is really notable (he can play a little bit, huh?), but the other two are fun records that disappoint a bit because they just can't quite measure up to the best these guys have done in the past. (I'd say the same about Eno, Wilco and U2.) If you want non-RnR records from RnR(ish) artists, the Van Morrison record and Allen Toussaint's "Bright Mississsippi" combine music and sound quality. The Toussaint is straight jazz/blues, but SQ is off the charts - among the best I own.

Marty
The Wilco album heads in a less experimental direction than where they were a few years ago, but the songs are good, the playing tight, and increasing contributions from guitarist Nels Cline give it a subtle jazzy subtext, reminiscent of Steely Dan in some spots.
To paraphrase Jeff Tweedy, "We thought everyone is ready to laugh with us more. These are just some songs we want everyone to enjoy". In the context of a lighter mood, this is a great summer album! Cheers,
Spencer
The new Sonic Youth is their best in a coon's age, ranking among their very finest records, IMO. Also really like TV On The Radio's new one, which came out earlier in the year.
Ditto Wilco & nice to know Sonic Youth is in good form. Other good recent releases available on vinyl include Grizzly Bear Veckatimest, Elvis Costello Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, and Eels Hombre Lobo(though on Eels albums he makes the unfortunate choice for audiophiles of treating voice with distortion. BTW this is one of the best LP album jackets in recent memory.) Costello has returned to form, and Grizzly Bear like Deerhunter is one of the better alt/folk/psychedelic inheritors of Neil Young sound.
Second the Sonic Youth and Wilco albums. Also love the new live Coldplay "LeftRightLeftRightLeft" and Phoenix album from France.
levon helm, electric dirt...jj cale roll on.....van astral weeks live...i know what you're thinking, well...........yeah
Son Volt American Central Dust. I was never much of an Uncle Tupelo fan, enjoyed Gob Iron, but the band has really matured with the latest Son Volt. This a straight line back to '70s Neil Young ballads with occasional inflections toward the Byrds. Excellent SQ on Rounder LP after a hosing on the RCM.
Phoenix - Lisztomania

If this doesn't get you up in the morning you are in a coma!

Neal
I've really enjoyed Bat for Lashes "Two Suns" and Clutch "Strange Cousins from the West". For those who are not familiar, they are nothing alike. Nothing.

The new Wilco is good, and better than the last few Wilco releases, but I don't "crave" it like I did YHF. It's still worth picking up, for sure. I really liked that artsy sonic thread that wove through each of the tracks of YHF. Every Wilco album before and each one after has felt like a collection of songs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm the kind of just that likes the journey just as much as each of the destinations. Just my opinion, and given the passion of Wilco fans, I'm probably part of a small minority.
I was disappointed with the Wilco album. I just got the new Magnolia electric Co. album call "Josaphine" I think it's really good, but I like everything Jason Molina has ever done.
As a few others have mentioned, Dan Auerbach "Keep It Hid" is excellent.

I will add the following recommendations that I did not catch above.

Patterson Hood "Murdering Oscar"
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears "Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!"
Deer Tick "Born on Flag Day"
Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit self-titled
Mastodon "Crack the Skye" (if you dig metal)
Try Booker T - Neil Young & Drive By Truckers : Potato Hole . Every track is good and the sound is awesome (not compressed like Dave Mathews recent effort) - this is one that can go into heavy rotation.
I saw Booker back Neil Young in Europe, Summer 1993, with the entire MGs as the backup band. Booker loved the feel of those dates and tried to recreate this with Potato Hole. Neil returned a favor by contributing with this album. The shows are legendary in live touring circles. I caught five of the shows. Better than any shows I have seen with the Stray Gators and Crazy Horse. Always closed with a firery rendition of "All Along The Watchtower." Absolutely one of the tightest bands ever. There is an excellent article/interview with Booker in Wax Poetics Magazine you should track down that details this.
I just picked up Booker T's "Potato Hole". I suspect that it will prove to be my favorite record of the year (over the long haul). It's a little odd, however, since so little of the record (other than the title track) is the funky Booker T of the MGs. This is more a rock record. Definitely a surprise, but a pleasant surprise. A look at the players would have provided a hint, I suppose.

Marty
Marty,

The key with Booker T is that he knows how important it is when you DON'T play. It is often more important what you leave out or don't play! The right phrasing and space is what it is all about and makes it interesting.
John Doe and the Sadies "Country Club". Very strong alt. country album with just enough of Doe's slippery blues guitar to quality as rock. Acoustic instruments in natural space & good SQ on YepRoc 180g LP.
Shadorne,

I agree completely. I've always felt that his band was outrageously good. Their music always seemed to just spontaneously start a party. So, when I was planning my wedding six years ago, I actually tried to hire Booker T. & the MGs for the reception (the cost wasn't too much higher than the local Stax/Volt cover guys I ended up using). Unfortunately, he couldn't clear the date. I'm still bummed when I think about it.
Marillion "Less is More." Stripped & mostly unplugged rearrangements and rerecordings of songs from late '80s through early '00s Marillion albums. Mature, sauve, unexpectedly jazz-inflected reunion of a band that never got the recognition it deserved. Audiophile SQ.
Another terrific release:

"My Old Familiar Friend" by Brandon Benson.

I've always loved Benson's solo stuff and I also like White Stripes quite a bit. Therefore, it was a surprise that I found myself disappointed by The Raconteurs material. I figured that maybe Benson's best work was behind him. However, this is a first rate record with very sharp songwriting. Probably goes to the top of the 2009 heap for me.

Marty
For me the best Rock album of 2009 is DEAD WEATHER HOREHOUND great rock with some light Krautrock, psych acid influences. And especially the first couple of tracks will get the dynamics out of your equipment
Highly Recommended for late 60s, early 70s rock fans
I'm on a bit of roll with recent purchases. Just picked up the new cd from the Bottle Rockets, "Lean Forward". This band was basically an Uncle Tupelo spinoff and their first 2 cds were rockin' singer/songwriter stuff with C&W overtones. They steadily added more rock/blues to the mix and the songs become grittier, but IMHO, less finely crafted. This release appears to marry the best of both worlds. I've only been though it once, but on that basis it seems to be a keeper.

Marty
"Them Crooked Vultures". Fascinating cross-currents of Cream, Zep, Foo, & QOTSA. Homme's tendency toward head-banging is kept in check and surprising flights of lyricism abound. Excellent uncompressed vinyl from Bernie Grundman Mastering.
Here are my fave albums:

Sonic Youth The Eternal
Rancid Let the Dominos Fall
Pearl Jam Backspacer
Helado Negro Awe Owe
Dave Alvin Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women
Elvis Costello Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
Neko Case Middle Cyclone
Wilco Wilco
The Vines Melodia
Bat for Lashes Two Suns
Coldplay LeftRightLeft
Rural Alberta Advantage Hometowns
Phoenix Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Jack Johnson En concert
Chasing Kings The current state of our future
Kate Havnevik Unlike Me
Grizzly Bear Vackatimest
Yeah Yeah Yeahs It's Blitz!
Dgarretson, I second that album, Them Crooked Vultures is something Special!

I didnt think anything would surpass Keep it Hid but this might be the one. Ive heard the album three times but cant yet cast my final vote.
That Auerbach is tasty and earns a place next to old Savoy Brown.

Still need to find that Sonic Youth. A great review in NYTimes last week of The Eternal in concert.
Department of Eagles "In Ear Park". The alter ego of Grizzly Bear has grown on me after learning that the band toured with Radiohead. Though operating on a smaller scale than Radiohead, Grizzly/DOE and RH have same ability to turn linear structures into psychedelic taffy.
Alice in Chains "Black gives Way to Blue" is outstanding.

I was very skeptical about the new singer being able to fit into the band after Layne Staley's passing. Layne was such a huge part of the signature sound of AIC. Then I saw them at the House of Blues a couple of months ago with the new singer, and quite frankly he blew me away. He nails the old AIC material with an almost eerie similarity to Layne, and still has his own sound. I liken the transition to when Bon Scott of AC/DC died and Brian Johnson stepped in and the transition was nearly seamless. I will probably get a few who disagree with me about that, but it's just my opinion.

The new material is vintage Chains, and a refreshing injection into today's rock. I sorely missed AIC's presence in music after Layne Staley's death, and somehow AIC has managed to pull off a fully legitimate comeback.

If you liked all the old AIC catalog, you will love the new album. It's the real deal IMHO.
Slithering into December, rather than bore oneself wondering whether Dylan's Xmas album is dark or lite, proceed directly to Ryco's retrospective of unreleased Morphine "At Your Service." Live Disc 2 "Shade" puts Mark Sandman in the ring with Jim Morrison for title of once and future Lizard King. Brilliant trio cutting a path though avant garde jazz, shuffle blues, and "low rock."
Weezer Ratitude is classic stuff - nothing ground breaking but certainly enjoyable...
Is it just me but ACDC Black Ice is really nicely recorded and it has some great classic stuff.

I find I had to get my air guitar out of the cupboard.

Hats off to Brian Adams and the quality production from his new Vancouver Studio: The Warehouse
I thought I could stop playing The Cat Empire "Live on Earth" - 2009 release - fantastic blend of jazz, ska, rock and funk... absolutely crazy eclectic stuff from our friends down under!!

Think Madness meets Herb Alpert with a twist of hip hop...
For rock in Espanol, hands down American Horizon by a local group produced by David Hidalgo, Los Cenzontles with a guest vocal by Taj Mahal. Give this a listen, it is great music. The Mountain Goats Life of the World to Come is also on my short list.
I agree the AIC album is up there, its very good.
I would like to recommend Mad Season - Above from 1995.
Its Layne Stayley before he joined AIC. For me it was like getting a new record with Layne although very old:-)