Best Rock Album in 2011

This was my favorite thread from last year, so figured I would start it afresh.

I'll start:

Foo Fighters "Wasting Light"---best album by the Foos in years

TV on the Radio "Nine Types of Light"---bit more ambient than Dear Science, but the music is first rate
keithr

Showing 5 responses by richard_stacy

Hmmm....Coldplay? I don't hear that in Bon Iver but I guess I see where you could. Not a big fan of Coldplay's music myself. Like the song goes "...some like KK Downing, some like Glenn Tipton...".
Keithr: It's amazing. I had posted a comment in the other Best Of '11 thread about it. Absolutely brilliant album. Different than the first and his EP. Not quite as dark and more sophisticated musically, still the same character. It has almost a chamber pop sound. Can't stop listening to it. I also came across a three song bonus disc on line which has a version of Peter Gabriel's "Come Talk To Me" that is crazy good. I guess it's his trade for PG doing "Flume" on his last. Justin Vernon was on Stephen Colbert yesterday and it was a really great performance of "Calgary", entertaining interview too. His band is giant which I did not expect. I'm sure you can find it on Youtube and it'd be worth a watch.
Notec...thanks for the Richmond Fontaine post. Longtime fan and was not aware of the new album. Another to add on my list!
Dgarretson...that Will Oldham album is a great one. Highly under appreciated artist IMO.

I'm not much of a Wilco fan but the first and last songs on The Whole Love are amazing. I could take or leave the rest but those certainly make it worth owning for me, especially the 24/96 version.

Don't care much for the Foo Fighters Wasting Light. I do really like the covers record they released this year. I'd much rather listen to their Have A Cigar than the original I've heard a zillion times over. Also like the Gary Numan cover a lot. Cool album.
Trans....love that album but I am a big Tool/APC/Puscifer fan. I think many do not think it is a stellar effort from those guys but personally, Wings For Marie 1 + 2 are up there with my favorite Tool songs. You reference the recording which I find outstanding. In the 2 aforementioned songs, the imaging is creepy, especially the thunderclaps which come from all over and build to engulfing thunder from behind/sides. Really cool effects but even the core music is super well recorded. DC's drums have a physical snap that resonates better than most rock albums.

I like th new Puscifer, Conditions Of My Parole (great title too!). On the mellower side and could easily be APC record. Good stuff.