try Acadamy records and cds 18st between 5th and 6th ave.
16 responses Add your response
Thank you for the responses! I will be sure to check out the Record stores mentioned above. I am primarily looking for a store that has a really good vinyl section. Does Academy Records have any Jazz, or is it all Classical as mentioned above. I listen to Jazz about 70% of the time and Classical the remaining 30%. Thanks again for the recommendations above!
12 W. 18th St. (between 5th and 6th Aves.)
New York, NY 10011
Open seven days a week, 11am-7pm
Academy LPs (pop/rock/jazz LPs)
415 E. 12 ST. (Between 1st Ave and Ave A)
NEW YORK, NY 10009
Monday Through Sunday 12:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Do yourself a favor by getting on a train and going to the Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey.They have a great Jazz lp selection and the prices are far more fair than any store in NYC.Classical selection was so so.Princeton had a huge Jazz lp section last year at this time and it was a trip that i would make again.The stores in NYC had pretty dismal and overpriced Jazz sections.Also try the Jazz Record center in NYC.Lots of marginal lp's at high prices,but nice people.
If you like jazz, you gotta go to Downtown Music Gallery. It's not that big but they have got all the good and hard to find stuff. The owners really know their stuff and they even have free in store concerts of some of the best jazz artists in the world.
Next time I'm in New York it would be at the top of my list.
If you find yourself in Philadelphia, try Philadelphia Record Exchange on S. 5th St. They have a very good selection of used vinyl at reasonable prices in all categories of music. It isn't NYC, but it's close enough. The last time I was in Academy Records, the selection was next to zero. Princeton Record Exchange has a pretty good selection of jazz and rock and I was there just 6 weeks ago. Of course, all of these places have a varying amount of vinyl as they buy and sell. It's the luck of the draw and usually requires several visits in order to come up with really great finds. Used vinyl stores are often cherry picked by on-line dealers who sell on ebay or on their own websites at premium prices.
This is not a recommendation for everyone but if your jazz tastes run to free jazz, improvisational jazz, and modern jazz, as well as modern classical, and the late 60s and early 70s progressive scene, there is one place that is absolutely the best place on the planet on a per square foot basis (because it is a small basement shop): The Downtown Music Gallery (now in Chinatown). Check it out:
Think Andrew Hill, Cecil Taylor, John Zorn, Keith Tippett, Anthony Braxton, Soft Machine, Terry Riley, Phillip Glass, King Crimson, X-Legged Sally, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Brotherhood of Breath, Robert Wyatt, Last Exit, Peter Brotzmann, Mathew Shipp, William Parker, Larval, Gunter Hampel, Misha Mengelberg,..."that" sort of thing.
You've never seen most of the stuff nor heard most of the artists, but they've got stuff playing all the time in there and I've picked up many things just because I was there and heard something playing. I've spent a couple of hours in there on more than one occasion. A real treasure.