Best "Used" Audiophile speakers for 1000-1500

I just got my federal taxes done and I'm in the "red"; so, I can't spend $4000 for hi-end speaker this year or maybe ever. Need some input on buying a good "used" audiophile speaker for somewhere between $1000-1500.I realize this is a narrow range but I'm sure somebody out there needs the cash and may want to part with a good to mint pair of speakers which retailed for near $3000. Can't wait for better times to come around!! because, I am tired of listening to the cheap pair of mid-fi cans I found in my friend's basement after I sold my B&W's to finance my dream hi-end speakers. All advice appreciated.
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by sunnyjim

To those respondents of my post, I am sorry I did not provide the basics asked by Sean. I did not want to really waste anyone's time with this, and to be honest am knowledgeable about many of the products you have suggested and so either like or dislike them. Nevertheless, I will provide some of information that Sean has requested. For the record, I e-mailed Sean with this info only because I did not think my plight should preoccupy these pages and every member of this website. But,I sincerely appreciate the frateral concern of those who want to base their recommendations on more data. So here it is: Equipment: Conrad Johnson PV-8 preamp; Aragon4004MKII amp; Sonographe SC-1 CD player; VPI 19JR turntable/Audioquest P-6 tonearm and a Sumiko Bluepoint cartridge. Cables AudioMagic SpellcasterII between pre and power amp; Synergistic research Alpha Sterling between preand CD. Room:15X18 with a 13 ft sloped cathredral ceiling.Far wall is a sliding glass door with approx 4 ft of wall on each side. To the left of sliding door is a straight run of wall of 15ft which opens into a dining area.Across from this wall is an angled fireplace whose wall continues and hooks to the right to frame the living from and opens into dining area. My former speakers were B&W Matrix 3/Series2; they were a 40 inch three way speaker---- one model down from the famous 802 and 801.Excellent midrange and dynamic, but imaging was restricted to area of the box and soundstage was shallow. I want to improve on the performance of this speaker especially in the area of imaging and soundtaging. I listen to fusion jazz, some big band music, 60's rock and lots of Grateful Dead. I have listened to, and will pass on Martin Logans, and Maggie 3.6 (I know this will sound like hersey to some readers.) I have heard previous models of Vandersteens and have not been impressed, but have not heard the 3A Signatures. I would also like to avoid the monitor speaker/subwoofer route, though I would seriously consider a monitor by itself that has tight and decent bass. I hope this is sufficient information.... Finally I want to again thank all for their time, concern, and friendship. Best regards, Sunnyjim