Best "Used" Audiophile speakers for 1000-1500

I just got my federal taxes done and I'm in the "red"; so, I can't spend $4000 for hi-end speaker this year or maybe ever. Need some input on buying a good "used" audiophile speaker for somewhere between $1000-1500.I realize this is a narrow range but I'm sure somebody out there needs the cash and may want to part with a good to mint pair of speakers which retailed for near $3000. Can't wait for better times to come around!! because, I am tired of listening to the cheap pair of mid-fi cans I found in my friend's basement after I sold my B&W's to finance my dream hi-end speakers. All advice appreciated.
sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by sean

How big of a room, what type of music, any specific placement restraints, what type of gear are you running, specific preferences, etc ??? Anybody can make suggestions but whether or not they would be suitable to your situation requires more info. Sean
>
I have to admit that these are the kind of threads that throw me for a loop. How can anyone suggest such a critical product as speakers without knowing ANYTHING about the environment or type of use that they will be seeing ???

The only thing that we know is that Jim had B&W's at one point in time. As to which models they were, if he is still in the same room, running the same gear, what he liked or disliked about them, etc... is anybody's guess.

If i didn't know better, i would think that most of you are suggesting that if someone were to build a system based strictly on "good" products and "good" brand names, it would sound "good". In my experience, those are the types of system that end up with a LOT of headaches and dis-satisfaction involved. Am i wrong in taking what i think is a logical step or conclusion to how this thread has developed ??? Sean
>