Best preamp w/Tuner for McCmk DNA-500?

Just got a McCormack DNA-500 and I love it. I would like to see if I can make a quantum improvement to my system by upgrading the Preamp. I listen to about 70% music, 30% movies, so I also need multichannel capability. The tuner is also important, since I listen to some excellent local jazz stations. Any help would be appreciated. Budget is about $5K. Thanks for your assistance - I've had some really great experiences so far with these forums and equiptment bought and sold on Agon!

System consists of: Legacy Whispers (front)
Legacy Focus 20/20 (rear)
Sunfire Theater Grand IV (WHAT I'M LOOKING TO IMPROVE)
BPT Signature 3.5 Plus
Richard Gray 400 Pro
Denon 5910 (APL HiFi modded 3910 on the way)
Sony XA7-es CD player
Velodyne DD-15 subwoofer
Echobuster acoustic treatments
Elrod Sig 2, 3 and Statement(wall to BPT = WOW!!)PCs
Electraglide Epiphany PC (to preamp)
Au 24 speaker cables
Monster Sigma Retro XLR IC's
2 dedicated 20 amp lines

Once again, thanks for any assistance
fplanner2000

Showing 8 responses by fplanner2000

Glai-

The 3910 sounds GREAT thru the Phi. No desire to try it direct - like the extra tubes in the chain.

Steve - When I get the chance, but don't think it will be anytime soon. Way too bz......
Update - Trying a different tuna - Sansui TU-9900 with all the mods recommended on the fmtunerinfo website. It will be interesting to A-B with the Sunfire - I'll be very surprised if the Sansui doesn't win handily.
Steve - Thanks for your help. Kevin at VAC is also great to work with. Apparently there are a number of VAC preamp users that are pairing up with your DNA-500 with outstanding results, and the numbers are growing! I guess I just had to get there to realize that!

Best cables I've found for this connection in my system, incidentally, are Nirvana S-X from John at the Cable Company.

The 3 of you plus David Elrod and Alex Peychev(APL HiFi)(plus a number of others) have really made this "hobby" a pleasure to be involved in. I feel as though I am getting tremendous value for my money, both in high quality, synergistic products and amazing "after the sale" support. I couldn't be happier at this point, but as we all know, there is no known cure for upgradeitis......

Thanks again.
No contest - took the antenna feed off the Sunfire. The Sansui approaches CD-quality sound and in conjunction with a good antenna and an MD-205 Signal Sleuth pulls stations 75 miles away.
Thanks for the responses so far. While I realize I'm limiting things, I also have to operate within the constraints of my current space limitations. It may be that I use my Sunfire until my situation changes, if I can't find a substantially better alternative sonically. The Sunfire DOES have many features that I do like, its just I feel its probably the limiting factor in the system.

Thanks again and please continue to offer suggestions.
Thanks all - looks like a really good preamp and separate tuner might be the answer, as long as I can still get home theater performance when I want it. My current Sunfire actually gives me all the bells and whistles I'm looking for, and the tuner section is actually quite good, now that I hear it in my upgraded system. Time to catch my breath and actually LISTEN TO THE MUSIC for a few months, especially with my APL Denon 3910 due this week.

I agree with the Adcom comment; Anthem would be a lateral move at best; the Macs also look interesting. Been also looking at BAT 31SE and 51SE, but unsure of a really good tuner.

I appreciate the input so far - more comments are welcome.

Thanks
Update: After demoing it first, decided to go with VAC Std Ltd Edition and use the Tuner direct from the Sunfire. Plan to upgrade soon to VAC Renaissance w/o phono, unless I get sidetracked.

Thanks all for your input.