Best Preamp round $8000

Was looking at picking up either a used Mcintosh C1100 or a used AR Ref 6.
Being offered both around 8000. A audiogon member said I should start a thread about this because he felt that both preamps are overated and he owned both at 1 time. Would love members thoughts. Also on a completely different preamp I was being offered the ML 526 at $10,000. Thanks
128x128topfinadv
Hi, I owned the Ref 6 for a while. Replaced it with a (used) FM Acoustics. No comparison: dynamics, clarity, naturalness... I could go on. Mind you, the AR is an excellent device; the other one is better. Cost however was a tad higher at ~10k.
The Ref 6 is a joy to listen to.  Quiet is dead quiet all music comes through clean and natural.  The preamp is not fatiguing at all.  The minute you turn it on you will appreciate what it does.  I have owned the Ref 3, Ref 5 and now the Ref 6 and have been happy with all of them but the Ref 6 is truly outstanding.  I also have a Dartzeel preamp which is amazing as well.  All things considered though I like tubes and the Ref 6 will stay in my system for some time to come. 
a used luxman c-900u might fall into your price range. it’s awesome all around
i also like the ml 523 and 526 very much but would still look for the luxman.
fwiw i owned a ML 326s and an ARC Ref 3 back a few years ago and just couldn’t shake the fact that the ARC was like an empty box compared to the ML and i felt that the ML sounded better. also the construction and operating software were as good as it gets. having owned a 326s and luxman c-900u imo that gap probably still exists. luxman and ML put serious money into their products. arc not so much. if i’m going to spend 8k and up for a component it should look as good as it sounds. i don’t buy the theory that the box doesn’t matter and that the manufacturers of low budget boxes are putting their money on the inside. the preamp is the unit that you most interface with so you best like to operate it as well as look at it. just my opinion of course.
For ~$5K used, I'm using a VAC Renaissance MKV and love it.  Running a pair of a NOS Mullard 6922's, it's pure preamp bliss to my ears.  I realize we are all going to recommend our pre's but thought I'd chime in.
I have heard both preamps that you want feedback on and I’m not a fan of either of them.

The best tube based preamp, which was my reference for three years is the Linear Tube Audio reference $4,500, based on the ZOTL circuit of the genus David Berning.  You can read my review on it at hometheaterreview.com.

Recently, I reviewed the Coda Technology’s reference 07.x preamplifier for Stereo Times website, and it was shocking how a SS FET based design gave me all I want from tubes in a linestage, plus other factors that are not found in tube designs. It retails for $6,500, so its in your budget. Take a look at the review for all the details on its performance.
@teajay you do yourself a disservice. Not only did you review the Coda but you spend a considerable amount of time here creating buzz for it.

OP: If you can listen to the Luxman tube pre I’d be happy to learn what you think of it.
Don’t have to drop 8K for a high quality pre.

unless you want tubes.

a great ss pre is “the preamp”
by Roger Sanders.

sanders sound systems.

roger makes an amazing little preamp.
It will compete very nicely with 8k preamps. ModWright LS 36.5 for a lot less and later you can send it back in for the Power Supply mod. if you feel it needs it. I run mine with SR fuse,WyWires PC and a Mullard GZ34 which really makes it sing. 
I will second the VAC Renaissance V recommendation as worthwhile to consider in your investigations. Excellent musical reproduction (phono section is a nice option) and factory support even if you purchase preowned...
I recently bought a Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) VK-33 preamp.  It certainly has the tube sound I was looking for and offers very straight forward feature set that is a pleasure to work with.  My system has never sounded so good.  Their power supply is excellent.  The volume control is superb.  Retail is $7K and is a value at that price.  Look into their line, it's really a wonderful brand with an excellent design concept, throughout. USA engineered and built.  And yes, it weighs a hefty 38 lb, which is considerable for a preamp.  The BAT build quality is excellent.  Just my opinion on all stated above, of course.
BAT tube preamps are my go-to. They have the classic tube sound, are made with the best components and easy to maintain. The companies owner always took my calls and answered emails to give me advice. If you are looking for solid state, Spectral is my choice.
I don't know anything about the PS Audio's Bascom  King Signature preamplifier.  But they do in home trial.  Might be worth a look.
note: I have met Paul McGowan and toured their facility.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-bhk-signature-preamplifier

Audia flight FLS wonderful build quality and sound or used Stremento #1 preamp.
I would encourage you to check out my Art Audio Conductor.  I was using a PS Audio BHK with Tunsgram tubes prior to my Art Audio relationship and was pleasantly surprised at relative imaging.  I found the soundstage on the Art Audio to be quite a bit wider than the PS Audio.  I have my demo listed for $6750 while it is new for $8499.  Haven't put it up against the ARC Ref 6 but it is a darn nice unit.  
I have the Luxman CL38-U SE. I've had it for 2 years and it can compete w/anything in th 5-10K price range. Very conservative on tubes. As quiet as the day I bought it. Plus the phono is excellent. A3 tube design w/4 step up transformers. 2 for MC High and 2 for MC low. Has tone controls and a mono switch. Luxman has an excellent reputation building tube gear.