Best preamp for Audio Research VT100mkI

I just got a used VT100MKI and was wondering which preamp would work best. I can only spend about $1000.00 or less. Thanks for the help...
demar

Showing 1 response by tswhitsel

Most of the posts above seem to be firmly in the Audio Research camp, and while these are good preamps there are others you should consider that are in your price range. The LS2B was a good preamp in its day, but it has been easily surpassed. Understand that the only difference between a LS2 and an LS2B is the option of a balanced input on the LS2B where all of the inputs on the LS2 are single ended. Both models have both balanced and single ended outputs. I have owned the LS2B and the balanced input is not its strong point. I found using the single ended input with an Accuphase CD player to sound better. This may have just been the case with the Accuphase, but I've been told by others who have a good bit of experience with the LS2B that the balanced input is not so good. I have also been told, but have no personal experience, that the difference between a MKI and a MKII is subtle and the better used value is the MKI. The best used buy would be the LS2 for around $500-600. A LS2B MKI is worth a bit more but, not much. There are a ton of these out there and they tend to be hard to sell used so keep that in mind if you decide to try one. That said, I would recommend you try something other than an Audio Research preamp. In your price range I believe there are much more musical sounding preamps that will go well with your amp. If you can live without balanced output (and you most certainly can)I would recommend and Audible Illusions Modulus 3 or 3A. The 3A is an improvement worth the extra money and can be had for close to your limit, maybe slightly more. The 3s are currently going for around $700. I've owned both of these models and the LS2 just cannot compete. The midrange is some of the best you will hear regardless of price. Another option would be a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Signature version. These go fast when they come up so keep your eyes open. Probably around $700. The non signature version can be had for even less ($400-500)and would also be a good choice. The SFL-2 will cost you more (maybe $1200 or a bit more)and is a beautiful preamp for the money. The Sonic Frontiers Line 1 is more current and also in your price range. This is a fully balanced preamp and has a nice remote and a great headphone output. It would be worth a call to Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio to find out more about the differences in the Sonic Frontiers preamps. You should also consider the Rogue 66 and the Blue Circle BC21. The Rogue 66 is very popular and a great buy so these will also go fast used. If you can find an original Joule Electra LA-100 for around $1000 this may be the best choice of all, but they are in high demand. This would be without remote control and an early serial # at this price. Then there is Conrad Johnson (PV10 or PV12)for a more traditional tube sound. I could go on, but the point is there are many good choices besides Audio Research that are worth your serious consideration. Take your time and read as many reviews as you can. Perhaps you can even get one of these to try in your system. All of these (with the exception of the LS2B) are easy to resell on Audigon if it's not what you want or you just want to try different things. Good luck and have fun with it. If you decide you really want an LS2B the guy who bought mine would like to sell and I could put you in touch with him.