best preamp for a MC-252 for under $1500

I am new to this. I know nothing. Is tube better than ss? Am I correct thinking that tubes produce distortion? My McIntosh MC-252 has a THD rating at .005%. Does anyone make a preamp under $1500. with a low THD rating? What would be the best preamp for my amp and budget? thanks.
alburger

Showing 3 responses by alburger

Thanks Arthur for your time and knowledge. I am embarrassed about my speakers, but okay-dont laugh, I have 4 901's...
But only 2 are being used for obvious reasons. Also, using a Yamaha 1000W powered sub. My speaker selection really shows my newness! Yes I plan on selling all my speakers, but that is next weeks project. Do you have speaker recommenations? Actually, the 901's do sound good if you have the room for the 87% reflected sound they spew. Also, they need the right amp. But i digress.
I do know that my recent upgrade from an MC-2205 to an MC-252 made a world of difference. Of course, the price difference was world's apart. Being new, I only can know the meaning of 'warm'= 'fat', and I guess 'cool' is meaning 'thin'or 'bright'? But 'involved' and 'analytical'are descriptions i do not yet understand.
I do like warm. I dont like harsh, ear fatigue boxes. But love the highs. I guess I want it all. Right now, I have the CDP straight into MC-252. Using, nervously, the CDP's remote control volume to attenuate gain. Carefully making sure the CDP volume is at minimum before powering up the amp. (no gain control on amp). Will failing to do this bring amp to max gain when switched on? Anyway, again, I thank you for bearing with my newbieness and you help.
Al
Thanks, Aball and Warnerwh. I will take your advice on the speakers. Wanna buy some 901's? JK. Also, my power is really bad, i think. I live in a 40 year old house that has old 2 prong outlets. I have installed a grounded 3 prong box for the system, but i know that is not enough. Sometimes the same program (audio) will not sound the same. Distorted. I have not noticed with the new amp, though. I used to run front of house P.A. (very large rig) for 10 years for a heavy metal band. I always used ear plugs except during a show. I am aware that different factors in the enviroment and the state of your being can alter the percieved sound. So my question is does this happen to anyone else? is it me or the system. or the power? Thanks again.
Al
Great advice-hardest to heed. I looked at the JM Labs and the Thiels. Thier flagships were the ones that fit the requirements. The rest were 100w-150w or less, which would not be a good choice. I am afraid to ask what the prices were. When I hear something that sounds crisp and clean highs and tight, quick, full, lows...I want to hear it as loud as can be, without feeling that I am stressing any piece of eqiupment. One thing is for sure though...I CAN study.