Best Pre/Pro for under a $1000 used?

I currently have a Aragon Soundstream Pre/Pro and I was wondering if anyone thought there is a nice upgrade out there used for under 1K? I have been looking at numerous options but I have no experience with them. Some are the Anthem AVM-20 V2, Meridian 565, Proceed AVP-S, plus other models from Lexicon, Krell, B&K etc. I use it about 70% music, 30% movies. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated. Thank you

doug
hyadstroya
03-30-09: Hyadstroya
Hi Johnnyb53,
Is the Outlaw going to compete with my current Aragon Soundstage in two channel music listening? That's where the Aragon really shines for a pre/pro. I don't want to sacrifice two channel in order to get the most up to date surround features.
Well, that's sort of my point. The Outlaw 990 is on closeout at $699 (down from about $1199 at its peak) because it *doesn't* have the latest surround features. What it does have is 7.1channel in and out, a very good linestage whether running in 2-channel or 7.1, and an excellent upsampling DAC that goes up to at least 96KHz, maybe 192, I can't remember.

My previous preamp was a VSP Labs Straightwire II, a handbuilt preamp from the mid-'80s that was still exemplary in transparency, speed, neutrality, and musicality. I didn't feel like I gave anything up in those areas when I dropped in the Outlaw 950 first and then the Boston AVP7 a year later. And if there's something I notice right away, it's when resolution drops and the music loses its communication and excitement. That Sherwood-Newcastle-based unit is a really fine unit. It's very smooth and musical, quiet, linear. I think it's a really good line stage.

The best thing is that unlike most used gear at that price range, you have 30-day return privileges if it doesn't impress you.

I am not an Outlaw booster. Their first pre/pro, the 950, had an over-achieving line stage, but I found the digital surround section to be lackluster and dodgy. I also tried out their RR2150 Retro Receiver and sent it back; it couldn't even approach my old pawnshop Amber gear, let alone the Onkyo integrated amp I settled on later.

But the Sherwood-Newcastle engine behind the Outlaw 990 is a keeper.
Hi Johnnyb53,
Is the Outlaw going to compete with my current Aragon Soundstage in two channel music listening? That's where the Aragon really shines for a pre/pro. I don't want to sacrifice two channel in order to get the most up to date surround features. I am interested in the outlaw. Thanks
Why not just get an Outlaw Audio 990 on closeout for $699 with full factory warranty? It's based on the highly regarded Sherwood Newcastle 965. I have the Boston Acoustics AVP7, which is based on the same unit. It has a very nice sound, much nicer than Outlaw's earlier 950. The Outlaw version of the Sherwood adds balanced XLR outpus and 3-to-1 DVI switching, which means it can easily switch the video portion of HDMI output.

The Sherwood 965/BA AVP7/Outlaw 990 comes with a mic and automated surround setup, dialog sync, and a host of usable features. Also has a phono section and FM tuner.

It also has analog 7.1 inputs, so you can hook up a Blu-ray player with internal decoding and 7.1 output (e.g., Panasonic 55) directly into it and get the lossless surround codecs.

Another thing to think about: I suspect the upcoming Oppo Blue-ray player will also do SACD and DVD-A. If so, the purchase of that one unit plugged into an Outlaw 990 would give you lossless surround from DVD-A, SACD, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio.
I love the Anthem. Another choice is Sherbourne 7010/A It's essentially the same as the Sunfire IV but goes for less.
I'm not interested in SACD or DVD audio at this point. Therfore, I would only be missing out on the updated HT functions of the newer models. I don't want to throw down 2K or more for the upgrades since I listen to more music than I watch movies.
To have all the latest codecs decoded I went with an Onkyo receiver and don't use the amps, but you can use them for the surround sound, center, or mains. Very cost-effective and high quality.
Of course, none of those is capable of decoding SACD, TrueHD or dts MA. Nor does any one have HDMI facilities, afaik.

Kal