Best pre for MC275 amp

Hi, I just bought a MAC MC275 power amp brand new. I want to get a preamp that has plenty of gain so I can drive my
Revel B15A sub hard. Am considering the AI Modulus 3, the CJ 17LS, and the MAC C2200. Also the VAC standard. I have heard that you can turn the Modulus 3 way up loud and it stays clean sounding. I don't want to have to turn the sub all the way up. I listen to a lot of 60's and 70's recordings that can be weak sounding. My Revel sub will bring out the bass if it's there. I bought the MC275 because it has gain controls. This way I can crank up my sub and turn down my main speakers to a comfortable level.
I almost bought the MAC pre, but I want to make sure. I want something that sounds great and will be reliable. I don't want something too bright or hard sounding. My ears are pretty sensitive. I have the Gallo ref 3's. Thanks.
bananaman

Showing 1 response by jond

Pookie10,
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have to recommend very strongly against stacking gear, especially tube gear, no matter what kind of top it has. I can sympathize with space constraints, I live with them myself, but you must allow tube gear, both amps and preamps, sufficient room to breathe or you risk significantly shortening the life of critical components. Sermon ended, please continue the preamp discussion.