best pre-amp new or used for under $500?

Hello there, just bought a 2-channel power amp and need pre-amp advice. My budget is low, as the title above states, and the power amp is a Rotel RB-1080. Speakers will be either Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1, Dynaudio Excite X16 or Totem Rainmakers. I have not auditioned these speakers yet, they are on my list because of reputation, look and price. Source is a Yamaha CD changer, will upgrade that after the speakers arrive. Room will be small, 12x12x8. Would prefer to have a couple sets of pre-outs so I can hook up a sub if necessary. A remote is an absolute must, my listening sessions are 90-120 minutes long. Thanks in advance and happy listening.
realremo

Showing 2 responses by roxy54

By all means, check out a used Morrison ELAD. I have been using one that I bought new for 9 years. I know that there is a lot of hype about it being the best ever, etc., and that can be a real turn-off. My experience has been that it is utterly reliable, quiet, and musical. Is it the best ever? I would say no, because last year I bought a Joule Electra LAT-100 mK III, and it has more depth and dimensionality to the sound, as tubes will, but the Morrison is still a great sounding unit. I will never sell mine. You can frequently find them used in your price range.
Sorry Realremo, I jumped the gun. I just looked back at your thread and realized that you need a remote controlled unit which the Morrison is not. Sorry about that.