Best Pre-Amp/Amp for Focal JMLab electra 920

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to Hi-Fi, and just bought a set of Focal JMLab electra 920, and kindly wish you could please give me some advices on geting a good amp to get the most out of it.

I mostly listen to classical music, sometimes a little bit rock and Jazz.

Thanks.
jaguarcondor

Showing 2 responses by readargos

I have the Electra 915s, and I also listen mostly to classical. These are unusually transparent speakers at the price range, so good equipment and proper toe-in are helpful to avoid sounding hard. I have paired them with Rotel and PS Audio's HCA-2/PCA, but my favorite combinations have been Musical Fidelity and the BAT VK60 tube amp.

Like the speakers, the MF gear is more transparent than usual in its price range. Some of the older MF gear was a bit soft in the bass (like the original A3 series), but their newer equipment fairs better. All the MF gear I've heard has airy treble, not harsh, which is a good match for JM's inverted dome tweeter. The older MF gear has a more upfront presentation, though I have read the current lineup is slightly darker and more laid back.

The BAT tube amp had a more full-bodied sound, with plenty of current for the 915s, which have a tough impedence dip. The VK60 avoids syrupy euphony while still retaining tube gear's richer harmonics and more palpable rendering of space with only a slight sacrifice in very low bass authority. The 920s have a more friendly sensitivity and do not have quite as bad an impedence dip. The BAT is a big tube amp, however, and can heat a listening room in the summer. Some of the new tube integrateds from Cayin or Prima Luna may deliver enough current for all but head-banging levels.

Based on prior experience, though not heard with the 915, I think Krell would also be a good match. Krell has a slightly dark sound in the treble, like BAT, giving a more relaxed presentation. The KAV 300iL or 400ix are two excellent, high-powered integrateds. They have plenty of power, and will control the woofers without complaint.

Toe-in is also important. Less toe-in reduces treble energy. Fortunately, the JMs are a wide-dispersion design and do not require heavy toe-in for good center fill. Make no mistake, the 920s are large speakers, and can use a large space for the bass to blossom fully enough to match the top and. I spent more time than usual getting the 915s positioned, but they are capable of disappearing sonically with good electronics and adequately sized room. My room is approximately 12x17 with a 9-foot ceiling.
In solid-state electronics, I should add that Ayre is another excellent choice. Sonically, I'd say it's somewhere between Musical Fidelity and Krell, and about as close as transistors come to a tube-like rendering of space.