Best Pre-Amp/Amp for Focal JMLab electra 920

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to Hi-Fi, and just bought a set of Focal JMLab electra 920, and kindly wish you could please give me some advices on geting a good amp to get the most out of it.

I mostly listen to classical music, sometimes a little bit rock and Jazz.

Thanks.
jaguarcondor

Showing 4 responses by jaguarcondor

Thanks everyone, these are very helpful!

I tried to look for some amp, recently found MacIntosh MC-7300 + C-37 (yes, very old products), and Classe Pre-amp + mono blocks (maybe not the high-end ones, but something like a pair of low ends), not sure what will be the best choice.

I will explore more with the other options that you suggested.

Also, I am also very much into the idea of tubes, since the 920s are a little bit "hard" to me, I listen mostly to classical, with a little bit everything else. The hardness sometimes is killing me. Therefore I think tube might be sweet to solve that.
However, I am kind worry that fist tubes are not powerful enough to push these babies, and second, I heard that tubes will trim the hi and low end that will make the speakers colorles. Will you think so based on your experiences?

Thanks.
thanks, Kentb, actually I just figured out the reason, it's the power!

Beside the hardness, I also found the static noise in the background, especially when playing classical music. Everything is GONE after I installed the Berlkin PF60 power console yesterday! I am so happy.

Regarding the amp, still hunting around for the right one...
Everyone's guess is right, I bought these speakers used, but still considering them as their MSRP, therefore I am thinking of matching them with some used amps that has an matching original price.

Keep that in mind, what will be my best shot? Thanks.
Thanks for the opinions, everyone!

I think the speakers should have been broken into, since it's been owned by a very passionate and professional musicial, driven by Classe 100W mono blocks, he told me to run a test by holding a small piece of paper to the tweeter, that shows that the hardness might comes from the source that I am using. I believe I'll get better sound when I get the right amp and CD player.

:) will keep everyone posted on my progress.

(PS: really into the idea of tube, now thinking of borrow a set from friend to test it out before I buy it).