Best powered Subwoofer for HT only... Under 1000

I need a subwoofer for my HT system. It will never be used for music, just movies. Besides keeping the price below $1000, the height of the unit cannot exceed 16 inches since it will go into a cabinet below the viewing screen. I have read great things about the Hsu VTF-2 which is only $500.00 (and 16 inches tall). Is there anything else I should be looking at?
Thanks, Ken
kgproperties

Showing 1 response by keriadums

how big is the room for one thing? also,used or new price under $1000? is the room open or closed configuration as well(thus acoustically the sub would be seing a larger acoustic space if the room is open to other spaces)?
That being said, your main challenge once getting a good sub, and you should certainly be able to find an adequate sub at that price(especially used),is to get the subwoofer integrated well, and get reasonably flat frequency response and phase!
I'd say 99% of the people, easily, get lousy results with subs, simply because they don't set them up well, and don't know how frankly!
There's plenty of subs with power out there that can move air well for movies for sure. Some might be inherently quicker than others, or have more impact. But that doesn't matter if you can't get the thing set up right in the first place! I've sold and hooked up 100's of sub based systems, and can vouch for this first hand
For most peoples applications for HT, I'd recommed looking in to something like a Def Tech PF15tl+ at $700 retail (cheaper on the net), I've sold/used quite a few of these guy's, and they hit hard or HT dubties in even massive home rooms! Even better, if you can find a good price on the M&K subs, they're built the bes