Best phone/personal listening device under $500

Doing a LOT of walking these days (gym not open yet) with my Grado and Audeze cans and the sound through my iPhone 8+ is pretty mediocre. No headphone jack either.

What are you guys using/recommending these days In a nice fairly inexpensive portable set up? I own an old HRT microstreamer  DAC that I would like to incorporate into the mix if possible.

Thanks.

glrtrgi
The Chord Mojo is the best portable DAC in this price range IMO.  Wonderful unit and punches way above it's price range.  You do need the Apple Camera adapter with it which I think is like $30.  I am a little biased as I am a Chord dealer but if you read the reviews, everyone loves that unit. 
^^^I’m sorry Mr.dealer but in my direct comparrison with iFi the Chord is overpriced & didn’t image as well...
OP:Instead of adding or changing gear why not get a good set of Bluetooth headphones?
Hi

I love my current headphones and so I am trying to work with them as my “baseline” equipment and find the source that will work well with them.

I’ve read that a LG V30 phone might not be a bad low cost option...
I use my iPhone with the Apple Camera Adapter and an Audioquest Dragonfly Red Amp/DAC into my HIFIMAN HE400S. Sounds MUCH better than direct out of the iPhone, and it’s extremely portable and perfectly comfortable to walk around with to the point you barely know it’s even there. And at $200 for the Dragonfly Red (or around $150 used) and 30 bucks for the Camera Adapter you’re at less than half your $500 limit. Best of luck.