Best of value-based systems

As a long-time audio enthusiast, I have watched with interest as the hobby has evolved from a budget-driven search for the best sound, to a hobby that seems increasingly driven by how much expendable income one has. No offense meant to the younger 'philes with lots of techno-money, but simply buying expensive gear isn't what the audio hobby is all about. Most of my system has been assembled from used equipment, with a strong emphasis on VALUE for the dollar. Hence, I have largely eschewed "audio jewelry". I'd be very interested in hearing from others who have built systems on the concept of most "bang for the buck". What components do you think provide the maximum quality/audio return for the dollar?
sdcampbell

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

Sdcampbell: If I may comment here..... I agree with you on all counts. Looking for and buying used gear seems to have put the fun and the life back into what has been for a decade to be a dying hobby. In my opinion, all of the BEST gear was introduced when I was too young to buy any of it, where in hence, if I wanted anything of that sort of pedigree, I had to buy newer versions of the older components which in part did not resemble anything their ancestors had resembled (if you could get what I am talking about and what I am trying to say). The following components that come to mind are the NAD 3020 Integrated Amplifier (had an NAD 7225 Receiver in the early 90's... not even the same thing....), a few Nakamichi Cassette Deck (currently have a BX-300, but my dream decks are either a 680ZX, ZX-9, or a CR-7A) and a Magnum Dynalab FT-101 or FT-101A FM Tuner (got an FT-101 recently off of "e-bay"..... wanted this tuner for a long time.... I have even watched this tuner evolve from the original FT-101 into the FT-101A and then still, into the FT-101A Etude.... and has watched the price almost double (if not triple) in its 15 year life span (from $475.00 to a whopping $1,300.00!!!!) I got mine for $590.00 plus shipping..... may be a bit much, but beats $900.00 for a new one.... well, $875.00 to be exact). But, that's the extent of what my views of what classic high-end audio is. Those components are still quite good today and can beat the living shit out of all of this "new and modern" mass market shit that is out there today (which in turn has cut the cost in reference to the quality of parts that are inside their "tinsey and cheap sounding" alluminum chassises, and instead, has chose to invest their dollars needless controls and flashy light show..... things that have little, if any relevance at all in reference to sound quality). Also, the Apt-Holman Separates from the early 80's (remember those, people??) are also on my list as far as "used and good" hi-fi is concerned. But now, for those of you who money to burn and love expensive gear, there are bargains to be found in that sector as well. There is a lot of classic Krell, Levinson, Wadia (and they recently went belly up.... so you might find a top drawer CD Player out there for just a song), Audio Research (my favorites are the SP-6, SP-10 (and MkII) and the SP-11 (and MkII) Preamplifiers) and "conrad-johnson" gear out there. Now, as for used gear itself, about half of my current system was assembled by buying used gear. My System: KEF Reference 102 Bookshelf Monitors (with KUBE Equalizer) was bought brand new (but they're 12 years old now). Adcom GFA-545 MkII Power Amplifier (bought used). Adcom GFP-750 Preamplifier (brand new). Magnum Dynalab FT-101 (the original FT-101, not the newer FT-101A..... bought used). JVC XL-M509TN Compact Disc Player/Changer (brand new). Nakamichi BX-300 Cassette Deck was also bought brand new (and it's 13 years old now). And I am seeking a Meridian 506.18 (the one with the "linear tracking" transport...... not the one with the "curvy one"), or a 506.20 CD Player (will have it upgraded to a "24" at my local dealer) or a 506.24 at a reasonable price. And if you want to know what cables I am using, I am using MITerminator 2 and 3 Interconnects (and for Speaker Cables, the MITerminator 2.... all bought from Audio Advisor) to tie my system together. How's that for my case for buying used gear. Ignore "Sluggo". Cheap shots like that are uncalled for and have no place like that on the internet. I fail to see the relevance in his lame comment. Later... --Charles--