Best of value-based systems

As a long-time audio enthusiast, I have watched with interest as the hobby has evolved from a budget-driven search for the best sound, to a hobby that seems increasingly driven by how much expendable income one has. No offense meant to the younger 'philes with lots of techno-money, but simply buying expensive gear isn't what the audio hobby is all about. Most of my system has been assembled from used equipment, with a strong emphasis on VALUE for the dollar. Hence, I have largely eschewed "audio jewelry". I'd be very interested in hearing from others who have built systems on the concept of most "bang for the buck". What components do you think provide the maximum quality/audio return for the dollar?
sdcampbell

Showing 1 response by 3728slingshot

Introduction of the the new NT line of B&W CDM series speakers is sure to drive the giant killer CDM1SE down to the "bargian" region. I'd put these speakers up against most anything ... electrostats included. Set these up on good stands with a medium sized amp, maybe a rega plant and that totally under estimated Adcom SLC505 passive controller and you will CRUSH big audio jewelry. Feeling flush? Upgrade the pre to a Mod Squad line drive ... nirvana awaits. Used deals are the way for real music lovers to make real music. At the ripe old age of 31 I've been an audiophile for 16 years ... only twice have I been able to indulge the urge for new gear .... my CDM1SEs and almost ten years earlier than that my still wonderful CAL Icon II. Go to concerts ... there is no substitute for supporting the performing arts in a direct way.