Best musician in the world?

A question posed in another thread, in my view, although musicianship is hardly a sport to be measured as such, the most universally prodigious musician is probably Shawn Lane. He is definitely the world's most phenomenal/inimitable electric guitarist. And he is a world-class pianist and saxaphonist as well.
maxibob
I think I will pick a drummer for no other reason than he simply amazed me that he could keep up with the guitar of Jimi Hendrix so my vote would go to Mitch Mitchill of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
...otherwise, Fripp, Buckethead or Satriani, just for their well-rounded-ness (in terms of styles).
Hey Dustych, I didn't want to bring up Buckethead because it(Bucket) is my best friend, I am the singer of two bands with it (Deli Creeps and Hook and Pull Gang) and I didn't want to scare anyone... Buckethead is definitely in his own class on guitar, and he is a phenomenal bass player as well. Someone wrote about Stanley Jordan in an earlier string, about his two-handed playing on guitar, and I wondered if they had ever seen or heard Bucket- his two-handed playing is impossible to comprehend. I could go on about him, but if you haven't heard him play, you couldn't possibly understand his stature...

There are a lot of incredible musicians, so many that picking the best would seem a fool's errand. Of the many so far mentioned, I do see two missing names: first, Les Paul (and Mary Ford). Not only did he essentially invent the modern electric guitar, together they mastered the playing of of it and invented a lot of the recording techniques in common use today. Second, is classical guitarist Paul Galbraith. His accomplishments simply beggar the mind. The common belief was that Bachs Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin were simply unplayable on the guitar. Undeterred, he developed and built a unique 8-string guitar with a secondary sound chamber that sits under the guitarist's chair, connected by a steel rod to the main guitar (a guitar subwoofer?) Next, he taught himself to play his invention. Then he transcribed the Bach pieces for that instrument, and learned to play them at a master level. Finally, he recorded the results and released the album to some shocked listeners. For his efforts he was awarded a Grammy in 1995 for Best SInstrumentalist Solo Performance.  Every time I feel the need for a dose of humility I play this album and reflect on the genius, skill, and sheer talent required for each of his steps along the way. Conception, creation, interpretation and execution, each at a master level. 

Talk about resurrecting an old thread!  23 years! That must be a record!

While Galbraith is/was excellent, I would currently vote for Jordi Savall: performing and conducting music from all over the world composed over a period of thousands of years at such a high level.