Best multi-purpose subwoofer

Best multi-purpose subwoofer - meaning it fulfills my pursuit for audiophile 2 channel listening and my home theater needs. I have a large TV room 22x22x8 (LxDxH) with floor standing Von Schweikerts VR4 speakers. Room is used both for dedicated 2 channel listening as well as home theater. Unfortunately the design of the room is not the best as it has glass on one side (leading to the backyard) and laundry room behind (meaning its also the family room). Currently I have a 8 inch NHT SW1 old subwoofer which needs an upgrade. The maximum dimensions I can afford on a subwoofer is  15x18x20 (LxDxH). 
As mentioned I want to be able to connect a High Level Input (for 2 channel) and .LFE for HT - so the subwoofer will need to have both. Grace for dedicated listening as well as power for HT. The only time I would consider a larger subwoofer is if it has wireless capabilities so I can place it anywhere in the room. 
Any suggestions on which subwoofer may work best for me? 
128x128ghulamr
" but I really hope I am going about this incorrectly and there is a better/cleaner way to connect both HT and dedicated listening for Swarm system since you can only connect LFE or the RCA line in but not both at the same time. LFE uses the pre-processor cross over and RCA line in uses the subwoofers.

Hi guhlamr,

To help you find a good solution, I need to know the model number of your Benchmark DAC, the music source you use and how do you connect this source’s output to your DAC (which exact input you use?).

Just to clarify, you stated: "LFE uses the pre-processor cross over and RCA line in uses the subwoofers."
This is correct for the inputs on the Swarm sub amp. The bass cross-over setting for the LFE output would be set on your AV7005 and the Swarm amp’s low-pass onboard cross-over is bypassed.  For music, the bass cross-over frequency is set using the Swarm amp's front panel  control.                               
You also stated: " you can only connect LFE or the RCA line in but not both at the same time."
This is incorrect for the inputs on the Swarm sub amp. You can connect both and the Swarm amp will automatically detect which input is active and amplify it. This is how my system is setup. I only play one at a time, either music or ht and it automatically sends the source I’m playing to the subs.
Thanks,
Tim
guhlamr,

I forgot to mention, I wasn’t aware your amp had both XLR and rca L+R inputs. This is a good thing since I think you should be able to keep the L+R outputs of your DAC connected to the L+R inputs on your amp via XLR cables.

Now I just need to take a closer look at your DAC and sources for their connections.

Tim
Hi Tim, 

this is great news. I am glad that the Swarm system can connect the LFE and Line in both at the same time. 

I have a Benchmark DAC1. The source for my digital music is Apple TV. I am connecting via HDMI in to OPPO 105 and coax out of OPPO into Benchmark. Music sounds heavenly. I play my FLAC files (all CD's burned to an external 2TB hard drive) via OPPO as well, which has an excellent file management system with Grace notes. I have thought about moving to Tidal music, but don't see a whole lot of improvement in sound at 320kbps. The only advantage I see is Tidal will allow me better streamer connection capability - like Allo Digi One Signature - instead of Apple TV. But I guess Apple really locks you in with all the ecosystem integrations. What do you think? 

Back to subwoofer connection. I took some time out to draw how the connection will look like on paper and I think I may have a solution. 
My 2 channel dedicated listening set up using Benchmark as preamp will be connected using XLR output into Simaudio XLR inputs. Subwoofer will be connected using the Benchmark RCA outputs to the RCA Line inputs of the subwoofer. I will calibrate the sub cross-over for stereo. 

For HT connection - Marantz LFE output will connect to the LEF input of the subwoofer and the preamp will calibrate the cross-overs. This connection will stay in place and the only manual change between HT and dedicated listening will be to remove the XLR inputs from Simaudio and connect the RCA input from Marantz every time I set it up for HT (have to borrow the 2 channel amp). I can use a switch box for that eventually. 

Does that sound right? Also any thoughts on the best way to connect/listen to streaming digital music? Thanks again Tim for your expert input. Getting closer...

Hi guhlamr,

I also have an Oppo BDP-105 in my system. Excellent and versatile machine that has exceptional audio performance.  
     I also use a 2TB external hard drive that contains ripped copies of all my cds and some other hi-res 24/bit/96Khz Flac files (great minds?).
     Your description of hook-up details looks good to me with one exception:
" the only manual change between HT and dedicated listening will be to remove the XLR inputs from Simaudio and connect the RCA input from Marantz every time I set it up for HT (have to borrow the 2 channel amp). I can use a switch box for that eventually. "

Why not just connect the front L+R mains outputs from the Marantz to the L+R inputs on the Simaudio amp permanently?  You're only playing music or HT and never both at the same time, right?  This would eliminate any need for unplugging/plugging of connections and switching would be automatic and seamless.  
     If there's no switch on the back of the Simaudio amp to select XLR or rca inputs, this indicates that both inputs are active and the unit will just amplify the signals that are inputted.  I doubt it would attempt to amplify both XLR and rca signals if they are present at the same time.  But it really doesn't matter since you only play 1 at a time (music or HT) there will only be either XLR or rca signals inputted to the amp at a time and not both.
     I also wanted to suggest a change to your HT setup  that I've made in my system that you may not have yet considered.  This is just an optional change to your system mainly focused on simplification and streamlining.
     I believe you could remove the Marantz AV7005 from your system without a performance penalty.  You're currently using two high quality prepros in your system, the Oppo and the Marantz.  Unless the Marantz has a capability that the Oppo lacks that I'm unaware of, there really is no need for this redundancy.  
    I think we both use a 5.1 surround for HT in our 5.1 HT systems (5.4 with the Swarm?).   You could connect your 3-ch amp directly to the Oppo 105, it has a very high quality surroud sound processor that decodes up to 7.1 ( contained on a separate/isolated audio board using multiple high quality and expensive Saber 9018 dac chips), the cross over frequency can be set on the Oppo and its LFE output can be connected to the LFE input on the Swarm amp.
     I eliminated a Parasound AV2500 prepro from my system and replaced it with the Oppo 105.  I thought the surround performance improved without a downside but YMMV.  You could experiment and decide for yourself.
     For streaming, I'm just using Spotify on my laptop connected to a separate dac,3 watt class A headphone amp and good phones.  But I think I should probably be receiving advice on this rather than giving it.

Overall, you're plan sounds very good to me with the exception of switching inputs on your amp.

Tim