Best multi channel amp and processor good for 2 channel listening.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions in reference to HT processors.  I am starting from scratch and switching from a Krell S-1000 and S-1500.  I sold the processor a few months back and I going to list here the amp.

I am currently considering the new Bryston 9B3 and the SP4 and decision was based on upgrade ability and warranty. The speakers for HT will be Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and for 2 channel Verity Otello’s.  My second choice was Classe but I was informed that they have all sales on hold, this is concerning.  I have not listened to either, my choice is based on reviews and the Bryston dealer.  My decision was also based they are both good for two channel, I am not set on this but it will help the budget and space.  I am looking for a warm and good over all sound; some might say 3 dimensional sound, clarity is also a factor.  Actually, all I’ve read in reference to Classe fits the bill.  I would like a couple of other choices to include in my short list and opinions are welcome. The budget for the processor and amp is approx. 22k.  

Thanks to all.....
maguiar
Bwguy and Randyhat, the T2 is a huge improvement over the T1 in everyway sonically and build quality.

Mquar we are an Audio Control dealer and their products are really excellent, the Audio Control product is superior to the less expensive Arcam, if you look at the processor the Maestro M9 weighs 40 lbs vs the Arcam which weight 25 lb, also the Masetro uses all discrete Burr Brown dacs vs a shared chip in the Arcam add in longer warranties and a more sophisticated amplifier section and you can see why we prefer the Audio Control product.

So if you decision to use a High end integreated with surround sound processor and multi channel amp or are you leaning towards a high end surround sound receiver with two channel separates  which is more important to you.

If you want the best of both worlds then a two channel preamp along with a reallly good multi channel amplifier  and a separate surround sound processor may be the ticket. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Lumin  and Audio Control
Maguiar, I'm glad to see that you're getting to listen to a bunch of things. That's always the best way. I think the realization you had about splitting the system makes a lot of sense. In my experience that's the best way to get what you want.

For HT, the Arcam 860 or the AC M9 are top notch. I think they're quite similar if not the same units. I'm not sure you could do much better here. If it's in your budget to get one of these processors and a separate amp then that's a great solution. Another piece you can look at is the Arcam AVR850 which has has the 860 processing paired to a seven channel class G amp. It should end up costing less then separates and sound really good.

For audio, the idea of listening to speakers and amps together like you did with the Harbeth and Luxman makes sense. In my experience for audio there is so much involved in the amp/speaker interaction that you almost need to pick them together. I've heard speakers sound totally different based on the amp that was connected to them.

Keep listening and let us know what you find.
I just saw audiotroy's post. Looks like the Arcam and AC units are not the same. Audiotroy what do you think of the receivers made by Arcam and AC? For example are the AVR850 and AVR550 a good solution for maguiar? Are they different from the Audio Control 9 and 7? In the end would he get better sound from separates where the processor and amp have different chassis, power supplies, isolation etc. or from a combined unit where the amp is designed to work with the processor and there are no interconnect cables, cleaner signal path etc.?
Hi audiotroy,

You included three scenarios and I am still undecided between option 1 and 3.

I included the Arcam because the price point is not bad at all. The Audio Control may be a bit much, I might have to revisit this decision after purchasing the music side or getting something used. I would like to stay under 5k for the multi channel processor.

What do you guys think of the NAD M17 V2? I am also being steered towards the Anthem AVM 60 and Marantz AV8805, but still think the Arcam may be better.