Best multi channel amp and processor good for 2 channel listening.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions in reference to HT processors.  I am starting from scratch and switching from a Krell S-1000 and S-1500.  I sold the processor a few months back and I going to list here the amp.

I am currently considering the new Bryston 9B3 and the SP4 and decision was based on upgrade ability and warranty. The speakers for HT will be Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and for 2 channel Verity Otello’s.  My second choice was Classe but I was informed that they have all sales on hold, this is concerning.  I have not listened to either, my choice is based on reviews and the Bryston dealer.  My decision was also based they are both good for two channel, I am not set on this but it will help the budget and space.  I am looking for a warm and good over all sound; some might say 3 dimensional sound, clarity is also a factor.  Actually, all I’ve read in reference to Classe fits the bill.  I would like a couple of other choices to include in my short list and opinions are welcome. The budget for the processor and amp is approx. 22k.  

Thanks to all.....
maguiar
I will give another vote to the AVM60. It really is a superior unit with amazing steering logic. The ARC software does a commendable job of “ironing out” all the various speakers (different sizes, types, brands, locations) to create a unified and believable sound field. It is also more than respectable with 2 channel audio. You would likely have to spend as much as the Anthem on a 2 channel audiophile pre to get better results. 
Alkolid your feelings that because a studio uses something therefore it is good is completely inaccurate. Studios use certain products because they are durable and do the job. 

We were a Bryston dealer for years and their amplifiers were good not amazing but good, the CD player was very good for the price and their preamplifiers were okay at best.

In order to make a Bryston setup sound really good you had to use a tube preamplifier to add some body to the sound, we haven't heard their latest gear but  that was our experience at the time, the Luxman gear and Hegel components were far better.

We will agree that the AVM 60 is excellent for the price and we did prefer it to the more expensive Marantz 8802a and the Anthem room correction is superb however the AVM 60 can be bettered by more expensive pre/procs.

We have the Audio Control Maestro M9 and that is the best sounding pre pro we have ever used it is a $8900 40 lb monster pre/pro with individual burr brown dacs per channel and the sound is exquiste you could clearly hear the difference between the AVM 60.

We were running that magnificent pre/pro with an $18k Plinius Odeon one of the finest multi channel amplifiers that has ever been built with all Kef Reference loudspeakers and the sound was remarkable for both music and theater.

We are selling our Odeon because Plinus recently discontinued it as they were not selling that many of them, Plinus is known as a two channel company.

This one multi channel amplifer bested a set of 400watt mono blocks as well from a very respected European company. 

We know just how remarkable a good music and theater system can be. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Maguiar, you asked for opinions so here’s my two cents. When I first read this thread in Jan I didn’t respond because I thought it was so off track. The concept of using two channels of a 7.1 processor/amp as a second zone to run high quality audio speakers seemed poor. I’m glad that people have mentioned that already and now you’re exploring a bypass setup or just selling two speakers and integrating everything or having two totally separate setups. Those seem like much better choices with the last one being the best IMHO.

The thing is you’re really wanting two different things in the way you’re describing the two channel sound you like. I don’t think you get there with just playing the L/R speakers of your HT when you want to listen to music because it will never be as good as the Verity’s can be. Also, if somehow you can make the two L/R channels sound that good, the center will never match them in HT use. You’re probably closer to your goal by just listening to HT in an optimized Verity based 2CH system with a phantom center.

Anyway, to achieve your goal of a great HT with an audio system that meets the quality level you describe while having minimal equipment, I’d suggest the following:

- HT - Keep the SF 5.1 speaker setup and buy an AudioControl AVR8 in the used market. Yes, it’s a HT receiver, but it’s built like separates. It will more than keep up with any of the processor/amp combinations listed above. In HT you’ll get a lot of the key things you need, amp/proc integration, similarity among the 5 speakers, sound quality, video processing, room correction ect. Also, this unit has the better amp (double check this) and none of the Atmos, DTS X capabilities which you don’t need. It should be a great used value.

- Audio - Given what you described I would really suggest a tube based system. Most tube gear intrinsically has the qualities you’re looking for. I’ve heard the Verity Parsifal with a VAC Avatar integrated a few years back and it was sick. For my tastes, very few audio systems can better that sound quality. I don’t think they make the Avatar anymore, but something similar from VAC, VTL/Manley, Audio Research, Audio Note could be a good choice.

If the thought of tubes is a non-starter then find a good dealer and listen to a few solid state units on your speakers in your home to find the one that get’s closest to the sound you want. With solid state you’ve looking for a type of sound that’s usually not the norm. For that reason you need to try a few with your speakers and in your space to see which one is closest. This should be very doable because you haven't spent a lot of money on the HT side.

Hi delancey,

Let me start by thanking you for your response...  

Let me start by saying what a change of heart I’ve had since the beginning of this thread and this came about from all the research and information I have been given “one big step”. I came to the realization that it would be best to separate ht  from music listening and use most of the budget towards music. 

I have narrowed down my home theater processor to the Arcam AV860 or the Audio Control Maestro M9, I believe I can get a good deal on either one. The seven channel amp is still up in the air. I might just use the corresponding amps for these two or go for a Bryston amp due to their unbeatable warranty. 

For audio I am still researching but have a short list T&A, Esoteric, Accuphase and Luxman. I actually went to my first audio show this past weekend in Tampa, Florida and felt like a kid in a candy store..lol.. I did get to listen to the Luxman 
L 509x with the Harbeth S-HL5 and blew me away, the fullness, richness, clarity, nothing was missing. Let me tell you the Harbeth can give those Verity Otello’s a run for their money to the point I am torned between the two, will see. Unfortunately, did not see Accuphase or T&A there for a listen. Esoteric was combined with others in one big room and could not listen to them either.

Anyway, your two cents will be greatly appreciated with the decisions above.

Bwguy and Randyhat, the T2 is a huge improvement over the T1 in everyway sonically and build quality.

Mquar we are an Audio Control dealer and their products are really excellent, the Audio Control product is superior to the less expensive Arcam, if you look at the processor the Maestro M9 weighs 40 lbs vs the Arcam which weight 25 lb, also the Masetro uses all discrete Burr Brown dacs vs a shared chip in the Arcam add in longer warranties and a more sophisticated amplifier section and you can see why we prefer the Audio Control product.

So if you decision to use a High end integreated with surround sound processor and multi channel amp or are you leaning towards a high end surround sound receiver with two channel separates  which is more important to you.

If you want the best of both worlds then a two channel preamp along with a reallly good multi channel amplifier  and a separate surround sound processor may be the ticket. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Lumin  and Audio Control