Best MM?

I want to try a MM with my Herron VTPH-2a. What's the best one? Maestro 2, Zephyr III, AT VM760SLC? Something else?
dhcod
Dear @dhcod : That Audio Note is better that what people could think and part as the same cartridge " family " like the very good Reson or Goldring and I can’t remember which other one.
Same " family " but with different quality performance because each company ask for some especial cartridge characteristics.

" stop listening with your wallet ", I think is rigth. Normally as more expensive is a cartridge in a manufacturer line as better quality performance has it. The problem is the stratosferic high prices the MC cartridges have today but when even at those prices there are gentlemans that pay for the the trend will continue: higher and higher with out true foundation of real quality performance levels that can in true justify those " crazy " high dollars.Reson is very good too, I owned.

R.
Dear @wrm57 : I own it, nothing to " die for ", good an that's all.

Thanks, Raul. I think I'll mount it soon and see how it fares against my Grace F-14 with a SoundSmith OCL, which I like quite a bit.

Bill
Dear @wrm57 : Problem with BSR was that they did not respect all the Pritchard IM cartridge motor principles/foundation After pritchard ADC chnages and not for the better.

R.

Are we to go by objective specifications, or a subjective judges recommendations? You be the judge?

While it's for certain we can not personally review all the cartridges we would like to, I have discovered something that works for me; I place a lot of validity in the reviewers judgment who uses music that I like; which is jazz, with emphasis on the vocals.

If the reviewer uses music that you couldn't pay me to listen to, he has less credibility.

The bottom line is; I'm in this game to satisfy one person, and one person only.

Here are objective specifications you can compare. I have no idea how they compare in regard to rank with each other; you and others can be the judge of that.

The TRX-2 cantilever is a precision-made sapphire tube. Due to its excellent hardness and rigidity resonance is reduced to practically zero. The stylus tip is a nude diamond, featuring low mass and large contact area (ADC Vital III type PH LineContact 0.32 x 1.57 mil) for lower record wear. This is a wire suspension system to define the fulcrum and provide extended frequency response and low distortion at low tracking force.

Specification of the ADC TRX-2 IM cartridge:
Stylus type: nude PH line contact (vital III)
Cantilever: sapphire tube
Output voltage: 3mV
Channel balance: within 0.5dB
Channel separation (1kHz): more than 30dB
Frequency response (+/-1.5dB): 20 to 30,000Hz
Compliance: 40cu
Impedance (1kHz): 3.0 kOhm
DC Resistance: 960 Ohm
Tracking force: 1.2g (+/- 0.2g)
Load resistance: 47K ohms (Capacitance 275pF)
Weight: 6.5g

The ADC 26 is one of the finest in a renowned line of cartridges, designed and built by the world's foremost quality pickup manufacturer.

Using the unique induced magnet principle, it combines minute stylus tip mass and high compliance, resulting in unparalleled performance.

Specifications
Output: 4mv at 55 cms/sec recorded velocity

Tracking force: 0.7g

Frequency response: 10Hz to 24kHz +- 2dB

Stylus: Elliptical contact

Vertical tracking angle: 15 degrees

Recommended load impedance: 47,000 ohms nominal

The Master2 and Reference2 models use a five piece OTL cantilever technology achieving an additional 5% tip mass reduction over the Platinum2 and Sonata2 models. The coils are wound with ultra-high purity long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper wire. The Master2 model is mounted with Grado's specially designed nude elliptical diamond, and the Reference1 model uses Grado's true ellipsoid design diamond. These cartridges are individually calibrated.

Reference V2
OUTPUT: 4.8mV @ 5 CMV (45)
CONTROLLED FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10-60 KHZ
CHANNEL SEPARATION:
AVERAGE 40 DB - 10-30 KHZ
LOAD: 47,000 OHMS
INDUCTANCE: 40 mh
RESISTANCE: 600 OHMS
NON SENSITIVE TO CAPACITIVE LOAD
CHASSIS MASS: 10 GRAMS
TRACKING FORCE: 1.5 - 1.9 GRAMS