Best MC Cartridge $300.00 or less

Decided to try a Moving Coil phone cartridge. Turntable is a Harmon Kardon T 60 and pre amp id Threshold FET 2. Any suggestions?
ferrari

Showing 9 responses by fear30001853

Hi Dragan. I've been lurking here for about a week and having a little time on my hands I read some of the older, vinyl related posts. I'm not trying to advocate which cart is best, clearly there's something to be said for personal preference, but Mr.Eber's comment struck a nerve with me; there's enough confusion in our hobby without a need for public claims made without even having heard the product in question. You may be right about the T-60 arm; IIRC, it has a very short effective length. I mounted a lower grade Shure an a T-60 once, but I simply can't recall if the arm was modified by the owner or not. Best Wishes, Felix
Mr.Eber. Unlike you I have a problem discussing products I have not heard. Considering that I have never auditioned the Phonomena, as those who read and understand English already knew from my previous comments, I don't have an opinion one way or another. Now see how easy that was, Mr.Eber? All you had to do was make a recommendation to the original poster, but no...you chose to discuss a cartridge you've never even heard and are now doing your best to weasel out of the situation instead of simply admitting to your error. Clearly you've been caught making unsubstantiated claims and have avoided every attempt I've made to clarify the matter. I've asked you several questions and you've ignored them all; eventhough, I respond to your comments directly and on point. Worse, you have made every attempt possible to obfuscate the issue at hand by playing Cat and Mouse games and doing your best to run away from your own words - so much for your credibility, sir. Sheesh, Mr.Eber, you don't even seem to have the basic ability to grasp the written word. I simply don't know what else there is to say, Mr.Eber. From what I've read so far this isn't an isolated incident for you, and I certainly hope that you think long and hard about modifying your posting style to not include opinions on components you've never heard, and perhaps have never even seen outside of a picture in a magazine. You may ask yourself what others can possibly gain by your comments, seeing how they have virtually no basis in personal experience, or is looking at your name on a screen this important to you? Perhaps when someone asks for an opinion, based on pure speculation, of a component a respondent has never heard, you could once again post a similar message. Until then you may want you stick to products you have actually had your hands on, as few as there may be. BTW, what is it that I should be careful of, Mr.Eber? Best Wishes, Felix
Hi Gary. I've compared the Glider [both the HO and the LO versions] to the 10x4 and other than the tonality of the carts [the Glider having a warmer, less focused presentation], the differences in sound quality are not as great as the price spread might imply. The Benz beats the Dyna in terms of soundstage depth, but the Dyno is a faster, more detailed sounding transducer with tighter, deeper bass response and a greater sense of clarity. I don't know about you, but I prefer to make big jumps when upgrading. With that in mind, you may want to consider a Lyra Lydian Beta or a Transfiguration Spirit, if you're comfortable with a tonal balance similar to the 10x4, or a Dyna XX-1 or a Benz LO4 [the Dyna being more refined of the two] for a more lush, albeit less precise and focused, depiction of the recorded event. All four offer sizable gains in resolution compared to the 10x4 and the Glider. I used to run an EAR also, before I bought my Ayre a few years back, and had very good luck with JAN 5751s. They're very inexpensive and even if you don't like the resulting change in sound, they're kinda fun to play with [G]. Best Wishes, Felix
Gary, I absolutely *love* the K-1. I ordered mine after having a demo home for just two days, and haven't looked back since. Other than my SC-Vs, the Ayre is the only component in my system I've never even considered replacing. Best Wishes, Felix
Hi Doug. My K-1 is a little over three years old, and yea, I've been kinda thinking about the upgrade. I'm just so satisfied with the product that I'm afraid to spoil a good thing. Have you heard anything about the "x" version? Best Wishes, Felix
>> I doubt the Dynavector "blows away" the BPS, but I haven't heard the Dynavector. << The Dyna 10x4 is indeed a *much* better sounding cart than the BPS [in all honesty it doesn't take much] - it's a better tracker, it's presentation is less smeared and a hell of a lot smoother without the spittiness of the Sumiko. Mr.Eber, don't you think it would help to audition the products, about which you opine, before pronouncing judgment? That said, a relatively stiff 'coil isn't going to sound its best coupled to the T-60's arm; I'd recommend either a Shure V15, A-T ML-150 or a Goldring 1042. Best Wishes, Felix
Mr.Eber, I've had a variety of BRS in my system, at all stages of their life; same goes for the 10x4 [the original and the mkII]. BTW, the QC and sonic consistency of BPS was quite poor. I worked in the hi-fi business, 'till a few years ago, and as a result was able to audition and live with quite a few products. I don't own either cartridge; I've used Lyras for the last four years or so. Now that I've answered your question, perhaps you can reply to mine. I just read your reference to the Phonomena phono stage and it's ability to upstage any competing product under $1K, a claim similar to your comments on the BPS and the Dyna. As I understand it you haven't even heard the Dyna and have not compared the Phonomena to similar components. My questions are simple: 1.how do you know since you have nothing to back up either claim? 2. do you know what the original poster's TT, for which you recommended the BPS, even looks like? Best Wishes, Felix
Mr.Eber, please try not to be rude just because you've been caught with your hand in your pants. I'm a newbie on this board, most of my audio on-line time is spent on RAO and AA's vinyl forum, so I know you just as well as you know me. Given the nature of this medium, if we can't trust each other to be honest than there's no point to even attempt to exchange ideas. But this isn't about me, is it now? Clearly you have not heard the Dyna and yet see no problem with proclaiming that PBS is a better cartridge, just as you've compared the Phonomena to a single competing product yet have no difficulty calling it the best under $1K. There are ludicrous claims, made because you obviously own the products, as you have absolutely no comparative basis for your comments. You also may want to read my post again; I never said that I heard the Phonomena, in fact I have not. I also never said that I auditioned the products of which I speak in a store setting, making it rather clear that they were auditioned in my own system. You may want to read other folks' comments more carefully, Mr.Eber, and refrain from putting words into people's mouths. Oddly enough, even if I had compared the Dyna to a BPS in a store system, I'd have one leg up on you since you've *never heard* the cartridge. I'm still interested in hearing your replies to my questions, ones you rather conveniently chose to avoid broaching in lieu of an insipid personal attack. How do you know the BPS is a better sounding cartridge than the Dyna if you haven't compared them? How do you know the Phonomena is the best sounding phono stage under $1K, if you've only compared it to the BC? TIA; I look forward to your well thought out and on-point response. Best Wishes, Felix
Mr.Eber, I find it rather ironic to read you telling folks to keep this discussion on audio, yet seeing nothing but a plethora of grade school insults in your comments. You even went so far as to test your personal skills as a mindreader, and extrapolated the hidden meanings in folks' e-mail addys for everyone's amusement. Bravo! You see, Mr.Eber, having an opinion is fine and dandy, but when you start attacking other for having an opinion which differs from yours, as I've seen you do in multiple threads, only to find out that you haven't even heard the products being discussed, makes one what to probe a little deeper. Clearly this is something you do not handle well, no wonder since your claims seem to be based on personal ownership of a given component, and choose to resort to childish insults, laughable threats and absurd allegations that you toss into the wind without even attempting to provide a shred of proof [be it empirical or anecdotal] to support your position. That, Mr.Eber, is terribly disingenuous and highly questionable. Clearly your persona has not weathered this experience well, and I congratulate you from taking a little time off from this forum to gather yourself. Please consider your actions and how they reflect on an opinion which you obviously want to be taken seriously. Best Wishes, Felix