Best Live Shows 2006 ?

This year has started out for me with some great live music. First it was John Prine. Touring his latest (Grammy winning) album "Fair and Square" and with no hesitation to play classics from 30 years ago, this was one hell of a show. To quote Mr Prines' acceptance speech: "I didn't expect to be up here. I showed up because I got nominated. All the other nominees are sitting at home in my record collection." Great talent dosent always mean a big head.

Next was a strange visit from guitar/experimental music pioneer Robert Fripp. I expected STRANGE and thats what I got. "Words and Soundscapes". Very weird fellow I would venture to opine, but this was not unexpected. Still glad to have spent time with a man responsible for some of the greatest music to ever warp my young mind. I think he will be touring soon with the latest incarnation of King Crimson which will include Adrian Belew. I wont miss that one.

Last night was more of a surprise for me. I went to see a less known act called "Hayseed Dixie". Search their website to learn the story of Barley Scotch and the boys, how they discovered some ACDC albums and how it changed their lives up in Deer Lick Holler. Their first album is called "A Hillbilly Tribute to ACDC". All banjos, mandolins and fiddles cranking out rock favorites like you have never heard before. I suspected from the cds that they would be good, but these guys were hotter than two dollar pistols. This band was laying down some of the hottest licks, there were times I fully expected the mandolin to simply burst into flames! Anyone who has seen this band will tell you they are a blast!

Now I am looking forward to seeing one of rock/blues greatest legendary guitarists, Johnny Winter. This show will be in an old converted movie theatre where the worst seat is better than most good seats you might score at other venues. "Johnny Winter And Live" from 1970 (I think) contains blues and rock guitar that set a standard of reference for my young mind. For me he is up there with the best so this promises to be another great show at The Neighborhood Theatre.

Things are really looking up as far as live music in my area, hope everyone gets out and supports live acts when you can. Its gunna be a great year.

PS...Subdudes fans, "Behind the Levee" is out and its a good one...great live band and they are touring this year...
blkadr

Showing 1 response by gawdbless