Best linear PSU under $1000?

For powering things like a lumin u1 mini, pi2aes etc. What is the best under $1k? Obviously sbooster mk2 and uptone lps 1.2 come to mind. Any others?
Keces p8, Plixir Elite BDC are others I can think of.
smodtactical

I have been using the Uptone JS-2 for many years but now need yet another LPS for powering a Lindemann Limetree Bridge II streamer.

Choice is between a Farad Super 3 and the Teddy 5/3. Both around $500 mark. 

The Farad Super 3 is absolutely excellent! Burning in really resolved any problems with the initial sound. I also found that the fuse in this power supply is really important as well (I do not recommend Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme). The AudioMagic Supreme fuse worked well, but I have had an ORANGE fuse in the unit for a week and it sounds excellent!

The Farad is a really strong power supply and has excellent current. If you use this as a power supply for digital transport or a Pink Faun or JCAT card, you may get a warmer sound from your digital cable because there is no ripple or drop in voltage/current. Other power supplies that sound thinner may have different results on a gold-plated/copper digital cable. I did really close listening and, in the end, the full sound of the Farad was still the best.

I have not compared this to other power supplies, such as Teddy Pardo / Uptone / Mojo. The consensus I have read indicates that Farad is superior over Teddy Pardo and Keces, but I don’t know how it compares to Uptone or Mojo.

Farad is a slightly different design where it has two stages of power regulation and uses super capacitors as "batteries" in the post-regulation section. There really isn’t any lack of performance here. The Mojo looks excellent, but it’s more of a conventional type of regulator design that uses Belleson discrete regulators.
I just looked at the Mojo Audio Illuminati v3.  Interesting device.  Uses a Belleson regulator (which is a discrete version of 7912) with a couple transistors for added current (to get the 3A output).  Looks to have a choke in there like the Uptone, but I don't know how it's used.  It's definitely more than I would want to spend. 

I received the Farad Super 3 and have had it burning in for a day.  Obviously the result is not conclusive yet, but it isn't sounding bad. lol.  Definitely did not sound good fresh (lack of bass and lack of "separation of instruments").  Was definitely better after a couple hours.  I can report back here in 3 weeks if you guys want.
I just received my Illuminati V3 and will let it burn in for a few weeks but initial impressions is very similar to Paul Hynes.
-Alex
I have been waiting for an LPS better than the Uptone JS-2 to come along. There are now some claims the Farad is better from testimonials. Let's see how this pans out.

auxinput you are correct in thinking the JCAT LPS just looks to be a standard design with normal LT regulators inside. Nothing special going on there, while the Farad looks like a well thought out design.
I actually recently did a lot of research into this.  I have a Farad Super 3 power supply on the way to replace the china ebay LPS I have for my Pink Faun S/PDIF card.  I couldn't get the china/ebay ps to work well even after I rebuilt/upgrade it and experimented with different types of output capacitor (it had this really huge 4800uf cap on the output line, best we can come up with is the regulator circuit is really slow or unstable and requires a huge cap on the output to fix this).

The Keces has been said to be pretty good, but does not match the sound quality of the Farad.  I would only get the Keces P8 if I absolutely needed that much current.  2 x 4A output or a single 8A output.  This is HUGE and really is only needed if you are driving a computer type device or something like small monoblock amps (such as the Nelson Pass DYI project amps).

I liked the design of the Farad because it uses big beefy main power supply caps and very good post regulator caps.  I looked at the JCAT power supply, but I really think that it's massively overpriced for what is actually inside.  Inside only has 6 smallish caps and what looks to be an IC type regulator (like a 7912 or a LT varient).  There is no discrete regulation circuit in the JCAT.
@rareace The EVO is the most musical DAC I've heard. Let's not derail this thread. I recommend that you read the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO thread for more user reviews. 
@c_avila1 Thanks for the feedback. I'll be getting my V3 soon and excited to compare it to the V1. How is the EVO DAC? What DAC did you have prior to it?
-Alex
@rareace, I cannot answer your question because I briefly used the JS-2 in my system, powering the USB card and the SPDIF converter before relocating it to power my modem and router.

Also, I used the Cerious Technologies Graphene Matrix DC umbilical with the JS-2. I was not able to use the GM cable with the Illuminati V3. 

DC cables make a difference, and using the same DC cable would allow me to compare the two units fairly.

I returned the V3 to fund the EVO DAC that I now have.

@c_avila1 How does the Illuminati V3 compare to the Uptone? I have the V1 and contemplating upgrading to the V3...
-Alex
Farad Super 3 looks like the real deal. Has some ultra-low noise specs and some new technology, EDLC capacitors. Check out the site's tech talk page and the shoot-out with other LPSs.  No, I don't own one, but I might take the plunge.
Post removed 
dougeyjones, I'm in total agreement with you. And jaybe scoffed at the idea of industrial PS! The lab supplies I referenced are MUCH better than some ripoff audio supply with gold plated connectors and a fancy name to go with the astronomical price tag.
Lab supplies have REAL specs, voltage drift is measured in parts of a millionth. Noise is in the microvolts or lower region. And they cost a hell of a lot more than $1000 when new.
Those cheap supplies you guys reference have rudimentary regulation and would fail horribly in a electronics lab.

BillWojo

I thought I’d heard it all, but this thread is wild.. Linear power supplies for modems and routers.. “Huge” sound improvements. 

I had to do a double, then triple take. This is what runaway confirmation bias looks like. 
Post removed 
Hi steakster: What power supply did you finally settle on, and for use with which product/products?
Post removed 
Wow! Those things are a LOT of money for a simple power supply and usually only good for one voltage.Look on Ebay for used industrial lab power supplies. Many to choose from for 100 bucks or less. Look for Power Designs, Hewlett Packard, companies that made top notch lab gear.I have two Power Designs power supplies, they will provide 0 to 60 VDC, up to 5 amps current and the power is very clean, well less than a millivolt ripple and the voltage is extremely stable even on a 6 place lab voltmeter. The model with the micrometer pots can regulate to within several millionths of a voltage once set. The voltage regulator is actually in an oven built into the supply to keep it at a constant temp.
These are much better designs and much more versatile, plus your not getting ripped off paying the audiophile tax.
Of course it looks like lab gear but just hide it.
BillWojo
So far working out really well but I haven't compared it to other PSUs. Will get a PSU box with stock lumin psu in it to compare soon hopefully.
How is the Keces P8 working out for you? I use both the Uptone Audio JS-2 and the Mojo Audio Illuminati v3. I like both power supplies. 
Check out the Uptone Audio JS-2 and the Mojo Audio Illuminati v3. They pop up used for under $1k.

But the deal of the century has to be the Farad Super3. Very well reviewed. Check out the LPS shootout conducted on the whats best forum featuring the Super3 vs Sbooster and a few others, I believe it was translated from Dutch. I’m picking up a Farad Super3 later this week. Prices start around $500 and go up from there if you want upgrades fuses.