Best "laid-back" speaker cable & interconnects for all Naim system?

Looking for suggestions on speaker cable and interconnects that are both laid-back and warm, but have excellent low bass response, depth and punch.

Just got a used Nait 5i (with NACA5’s) and have been listening over the past week. Rest of my gear is a Naim CD3.5 and Vandersteen 2C’s.

OMG, are these NACA5’s harsh and flat or what! Anyone else experience this? I think I have all mids and nothing in the highs and lows. No don’t get me wrong, there is some bass punch, but not like my previous Creek 5350SE and 4330SE.

To balance everything out, I either need to resell the Nait and get an integrated that is more laid-back with excellent low bass response and punch (like the 4330SE... yes, I miss her) or try and find the equivalent in speaker cables and interconnects? If that is even possible? 
jsbach1685

Showing 5 responses by jsbach1685

I don't think wattage is the problem. The 4330SE I had prior was 50wpc too and it was plenty for the Vandys. The 5i is plenty loud and clean... the problem is that it doesn't balance right (to my ears) with the rest of my gear. 
5i owner's manual states naim cables sound best, but you can use a wide range of cables without causing damage to the amp. 
chayro,

I agree... I think the issue is the amp. It wasn't an issue when I had the 4330SE, and things only changed when I introduced the 5i. Not that the 5i is awful... hardly. Just isn't the right fit.

So this begs the question: What should I get? Of better put: What can I get with a max budget of $675 that is slightly laid back like the 4330SE, but still has really good low bass response (punch).

Rega Mira 3? Options from Musical Fidelity or Arcam? Simaudio Moon iL/250i? Another Creek perhaps? Any of the Evo's similar to the older Creeks? Exposure 2010S? Classe CAP-101, CAP-150?  
Hi chayro, 
Not exactly... Let me explain. I was totally happy with my system when I had the 4330SE. I regret selling it. The ONLY reason I did was because a 5350SE showed up in the ad listings for sale. These don't come up for sale very often, so I was simply tempted to get the 5350SE because it must have been better, right? Well, I sold the 4330 and bought the 5350. It was better, but it just didn't have the same sound the 4330 produced, so essentially mess up the chemistry of my system. So then I sold the 5350 and bought the Nait thinking that an all-Naim system would be better--wrong--still not what I want. I don't need to spend $3k on an amp or integrated. The onlyl reason for the $675 limit is because that is what i paid for the 5350. Honestly, I'd like to stay under that, but $675 is the max. If a 4330SE showed up on the ad listings today, I would buy it. But since there are scare to none these days, I have to find something that is very similar in sound... a sound that is warm, laid-back, punchy and low in the bass, yet is still very clean. The icing on the cake was bringing it all together with DH Labs Q-10 speaker cables and custom made DH Labs Air Matrix DIN to RCA interconnects. The 4330SE just blended perfectly with the full-range sound of the CD3.5 and Vandersteen 2c's. I was an idiot to sell it. 

Hi sfall, 

Thanks for the info. I think you may have mentioned that on another one of my threads... (regarding passive preamp stages) as the 4330 does have a passive pre, as does the 5350. I am keeping my eye on a Classic 5350SE (UK made). The original had a dedicated source knob for recording, as well as those blasted external pre-out/main-in jumpers on the back. The "Classic" 5350SE got rid of the dedicated recording knob and made the pre-out/main-in connection internal (via a button on the back). The Asian made unit is (I believe) the Evolution 5350. 

As for dedicated power amps, a local audio friend of mine has a McIntosh MC502 amp for sale. He's a big McIntosh fan and said it would sound great with the Vandersteens. I bet that sucker would sound awesome with the right preamp. Or... I can sell my Naim CD3.5 as well and go with a cd player with analog volume control? Theta Miles anyone? 

Anyway, as for Integrateds, I'm leaning towards the Classic 5350SE, as well as maybe a Classe CAP-101, Exposure 2010s, Arcam A85 or Rega Mira 3 (one for sale here now). However, I am unsure on the others if they're have passive or active preamp sections?