Best interconnects & speaker cable? I don't get it

I don't know if there is a question here but I'm posting this to see if there is something I'm missing or overlooking in this observation. To the point, I've read many posts arguing the benefits of one or more conductors over others and I almost understand some discussions regarding, at least, comparisons of wire gauge for speakers. Maybe it relates to my less than well developed ability to discern subtlities in sound quality but I really can't hear much, if any, difference between interconnects or speaker cables.

As an example, I was recently experimenting with an amplifier selector (Niles DPS-1) which can accommodate a max of 14AWG speaker wire. In doing so I had to disconnect my existing cables which are "high end" 12 gauge per leg bi-wires. In making this comment I realize that just because my old wires are big and expensive does not necessarily mean they are the best match for my system or even any good. But...even though I think I am able to hear some small difference between them, to say that I think one is better than the other would be a stretch.

It seems to me that there are factors that would logically lend to the issue of quality, the primary of which would be conductor resistance and/or impedance. However, for transmission of line level signals, I can't see impedance as a significant factor.

All that being said, I believe that some listeners with acutely honed abilities can actually hear these differences and, in a way, I am somewhat glad that I don't; It makes wire choices much easier and way less expensive.

My current system consists of Shanling S-100 CD player, CALSigma 2 DAC, Rogue Audio Sphinx and Martin Logan Odyssey speakers with various interconnect and speaker wires.
128x128broadstone

Showing 5 responses by zd542

You're trying too hard. Experimenting with the Niles isn't helping any either. Putting that in changes the sound of the system. Most people can hear some differences between cables but it doesn't always happen right away. I couldn't for a long time but now I can easily hear differences. Its one of those things that once you hear it the first time, it becomes easier.

Whatever you do, don't force the issue. Reading reviews and comments by other people is tempting, but if you're not sure, don't make any investments in cables. The safest way to do it is use The Cable Co. I mentioned them in your other thread. They will send you a bunch of cables to demo. If you don't see the value, you don't have to buy anything.

Either way, you have a really nice system. As long as you cables are OK and working, it should sound pretty good.
"I find that using the Audiogon buy 'n try method works better for me than using The Cable Company, as I tend to lose less money. However, you do have to sell the cables you are not using for this method to be successful. If you are a herder, buy 'n try is a bad idea I suppose."

I used to think that type of thing was good, but have since changed my mind. Before we had things like Ebay and Audiogon to use as resources, you had to be much more careful. When you can't get rid of a component easily, cables or otherwise, you tend to put a lot more effort into getting it right the first time. The internet makes it too easy. I think its the biggest problem in audio today. People are getting lazy and making bad choices because of it. Its a cycle that feeds on itself. I see a lot of people getting sucked into audio because they hear the potential, but they lack the skills and experience too get all the variables right.
"Huh? I don't know that we were "getting it right the first time", by limiting our options. I would maybe call it settling easier for the limited options that we had before the internet. Yes, I didn't rotate gear as frequently in the 80's and 90's as I have in this century. I don't think of it as I got it right back then, there was less movement because the options were much more limited.

However, if you feel that limited options help get it right for you, well there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone needs to find their own path."

I don't think I did a good job getting my point across in my last post. It was just a general comment, not aimed at anyone in particular. All I was trying to say was that resources on the internet can make things "too easy", for lack of a better term. Many people have the attitude where if they buy something at a good price, they can sell it if they don't like it. Its a reasonable strategy and I'm not saying its a bad one. I just think that in doing it that way, most people learn less about audio. Before the internet, mistakes were much more costly. Because of that, there was more motivation to make the best choice possible when shopping for components. That's why I say you learn more.

But that's just my opinion and I know it doesn't apply to everyone, and every situation. Can I be wrong? Absolutely. I've been wrong more times than I can count; and I'm pretty good at math.
I was just reading through a different thread and found a good example of the point I was trying to make. I know some of the people on this thread saw it because some of you responded with posts of your own.

"I am not arguing whether a certain cable is worth X amount of dollars, but what the cables actually sells for in the market.

Some threads on the cable forum can go on for pages and pages, where the participants kind of keep to them selves the purchase price. When asked, the usual answer is " contact the manufacturer/company". It seems they dont want to hurt the company by telling the truth, or they believe they were the only ones that got that "special price" But who are we kidding?

I know i can do some homework by finding how much the cables sell for second hand, but some brands dont come on the market much. These products often discussed among members, but no much turnover second hand. Even when they do the info is confusing. A case in point. A power cable i am looking at says MSRP is $5750, Selling 2350 or make offer. Looking on Google another seller was selling 5 months ago with MSRP $2750, selling $1200. What the F"

I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I couldn't think of a better example than this real one from the other post. Its clear from reading this post, and some of the others, that people are spending a lot of time and money going down this type of path. I my opinion, I don't see what any of this has to do with audio. There's no goal, or problem to solve. Nothing about audio to focus on. Its like day trading stocks; get in at a good price, and get out at a good price.

Again, I just want to clarify that I'm not telling people what they should do, or that my way is better. I just find this a very interesting trend that may hurt, as much as help with equipment selection. But I could be wrong.
"03-12-14: Tbg
Audiolabyrinth, please don't think I'm unhappy with where I am. I don't want to get off the merry-go-round. I am still thrilled with realism and I have met some great people. I must also say that I don't understand people who have no passions. Year ago I had three passions-audio, racing catamarans, and seeing the world. I don't live near the ocean anymore and I've seen most of the world other than Antarctica.

Last night I discovered that some amps are enormously improved being on Star Sound Tech. Sistrum Apprentic platforms. Others are not."

You really need to get to Antarctica. If you've never heard naturally cryoed cables before, you are in for a real treat.