Best int. amp for AKG K1000's-Cary, Manley, Creek?

I'm thinking of getting AKG K1000 Headphones for an office system which I'm starting from scratch. (K1000's have to be hooked up to speaker terminals on an amp, not a Headphone out). In the few threads here on K1000's I've noticed Cary integrateds mentioned; which is fine for me as I'm a Cary fan & have long thought about getting an SLI-80. I've also been intrigued by the Manley Stingray. The Creek 5350SE would be another idea as it's way cheaper than the other two, & smaller & easier to move around which would be a plus. I'm not thinking of SET amps as much, as I'd like to be able to hook up my Spendor S3/5 SE's to this system occasionally. I've also thought of other used integrated's; Plinius, Simaudio, even Classe, etc. And the $$ matter, but "sexiness" does also, as I need motivation to spend more time in my office.......& All this is assuming I'd buy used. TIA for any advice!
steveaudio

Showing 1 response by swampwalker

I used a Cary 2A3i and currently own an Aspen Audio 833 and an Audiovalve RKV. If your taste runs toward rock or funk or R&B, go with the Audiovalve. If more classical/jazz/acoustic, go Cary. For compact size and low heat output, Audiovalve. For ability to drive mod/high eff speakers and multiple inputs, go Cary. Aspen Audio is a nice alternative at a much more attractive price. I have not heard, but many folks swear by the Cary 300bsei as the ultimate tube amp for dynamic phones. The Carys will be about 2-3x the cost of the RKV, the Aspen 60%. Hard to go wrong with any of these amps.