Best Inexpensive Preamp for DENON 103?

Hi,
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am totally confused with all the choices and don't want to make another mistake.
My Cambridge 640P is actually not bad, but I know I'm missing on some dynamics, and the output is adequate but could be better.
Other components:
-Heavily modded Thorens TD-145 w/ a properly modded arm at about 24 grams.
- Rotel bi-amplification w/ B&W Matrix 802 vintage speakers.
- Budget right now, unfortunately, has to be capped at about $300.00

-1- I know I should pay more, (I can't)- anyone have something used they would like to move?
-2- I know there are better choices for arm and compliance- but take my word- this arm has been modded for weight, mass, and resonance control and is VERY acceptable as it is.
Just need help w/ recommendations!!
THANK YOU!!

-Gary
128x128garpt

Showing 1 response by gopher

I previously used a Jasmine with various 103 variants and it was a nice phono and the de facto recommendation for Denons, but a hundred or so out of your range...

Lately I replaced the Jasmine with an older Monolithic PS-1 phono pre and am happier with its core sound, being more organic and natural with similar transparency and staging qualities. Dynamics may be a bit muted by comparison, but I have an HC-1B psu on the way which I suspect will give the Monolitich the advantage. Give it a look in your budget, I enjoy mine.

My other recommendation would be the Vista Audio phono pre AC addition for $300.