Best high current high power $5k amp for MBL 121

I've narrowed down my choice of amp(s) to the following to help me drive my MBL 121. The speakers are very inefficient at 82db and with a 4ohm load. I can consider amps for around $5k used but would like to spend a lot less if I can. Amps include:

Spectron Musician III SE Mkii
Plinius SA 250mkiv or 301
Pass Labs 250.5 or 350.5
Cary 500MB
McCormack DNA 500
Bryston 7BSST

I welcome any suggestions, especially from folks familiar with driving these speakers, and also welcome thoughts other amplifier options.

I play a wide range of music and varying volume. I'm typically a tube guy, and I value liquidity, airiness and naturalness above all else. I find I care little for pursuit of a low noise floor at the expense of other aspects of music reproduction. I find I don't particularly mind a sound that some may find colored if it breathes life to the music (I have a Supratek Syrah preamp that I love). I've had one or two highly regarded amps that may be considered accurate or transparenet, but which I found to be dead and lifeless.

Anyways, I welcome advice and input on what is an expensive purchase for me that I want to get right. I may also consider a far cheaper amp (a giant-killer, if there is one) that may not get me all the way there, but which will make do for a year or so as a good bridge to a better amp later on.

Finally, might there be a tube amp option for me? Again, I need a high power solution, and even moreso, I need a high current solution - to drive these speakers properly.

Thanks!
128x128outlier

Showing 1 response by audphile1

My preference is for natural sound as well. Pass Labs X250.5 that I own for 2 years now fits the bill. I listen to a wide range of music, anything from Metallica to Mahler. The Pass has no problems driving my B&Ws, although they're more efficient than the MBLs. I doubt Pass would have any issues driving the MBLs. I looked at your system and you have very nice components. Another thing with Pass amp is that it is very transparent and lets you hear what each component before it is doing. I recently tried 3 preamplifiers in my system, and each time Pass revealed their strengths and weaknesses. It's a great amp.

Good luck with your search.