Best Headphones in $500 range for Leben 300X

Brand new to the headphone scene. The reality of apartment living has pushed me in this direction. Would love any suggestions on a headphone pairing for a Leben 300X. I listen mainly to viny on a Thorens TD-160. Hope to upgrade in about six months to a Rega P-5. I listen mainly to jazz.

Thanks a lot!
jedstein

Showing 2 responses by hens

If you're looking to use the headphone output rather than the speaker outputs, I can highly recommend the AKG K-702. They take some time to burn-in but when they do you are well rewarded with amazing transparency and neutrality. Bass is not as prominent as the Sennheiser 'phones but seems more real and less bloated.

My best advice would be to visit the Head-fi website and get some advice from people as hooked on headphones as most on this site are hooked on hi-fi!:-)
T_bone, the K702's are the same as the K701 other than the addition of a detachable cable with the K702 and a different colour (K701 - white, K702 - dark blue). You are right that they are very good headphones.

The Senn 650's are very good as well, but a different presentation - a little warmer and more bass pronounced. Personally, I preferred the more neutral AKG's. Grado also have some excellent 'phones at that price point, but they are on-ear type fitting as opposeed to around the ear which I find more comfortable and better for isolation.

Just like loudspeakers, I would highly recommend auditioning extensively before laying out your dough!