BEST FEMALE VOCAL EVER

HELLO TO ALL...

I've started a BEST MALE VOCAL seperately - if you want to contribute to that, please go that discussion...

I personally think the BEST FEMALE is so much harder than the Best Male, and I already have so many names in mind that I thought I'd wait and see others suggestions.

SO PLEASE OFFER YOU HUMBLE OPINION - BUT PLEASE, offer only one.

THANKS to all who cotribute...
justvintagestuff
+1 re Judith Durham.

Given the OP’s admonition to only mention one name, and based on my assumption that the thread was not intended to address opera and classical singers or to take repertoire into account, I cited Connie Francis earlier in the thread. However I could just as easily have named Judith, and in fact I pondered which of the two to cite.

Following are comments I made and quoted about Judith earlier this year in the following thread:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/exceptional-voices-of-female-singers-non-classical

Based on the purity and sheer beauty of her voice, I would cite Judith Durham, best known as the lead singer of The Seekers although she has had a distinguished solo career as well.

Following is a brief excerpt of comments about her provided by a British gentleman whose bio is shown at the end of an article he wrote entitled Judith Durham: The Voice of the 20th Century. Obviously some of what he has to say in this paragraph and in the rest of the article is debatable, as well as being subjective to a considerable extent, but his comments are not without foundation IMO.

Judith Durham (of the Seekers) is the greatest of them all. The voice of the twentieth century, in my not very humble opinion. Clarity, spine-shivering (I’ve already used “spine-tingling” and I’m all for a bit of variety), astonishing purity – all that is obvious straightaway. But listen to The Carnival is Over or the amazing Just a Closer Walk and you hear a vocal beauty which is unique and reaches a level no one else can get near to. Callas is just a tear-jerker by comparison; Carpenter just a female crooner; Piaf just a screeching Gallic banshee. Judith Durham combines a bold, even brash, confidence in her own ability with a deeper humility which lends her remarkable sound an even more profound character.

Regards,
-- Al

All of the ladies mentioned here are great. It would be hard, if not impossible, to rate just one as the best. A lot depends on personal music tastes and styles.
Each have performed fantastic songs while other of their songs were not so memorable. Versatility is certainly a large factor and requires a lot of talent. Maybe we listen to the tonality and depth of their voices even performed in songs we don't particularly like.
To all the ladies mentioned here.....not just one is best. You are all GREAT.

Justvintagestuff, how about one jazz, and one rock 'n roll singer.

Billie Holiday-Strange Fruit, and Darlene Love, a pure Rock n Roll singer if there ever was one. Check out her "White Christmas" from the Phil Spector Christmas album. Accept no substitutes.

And thank all of you for mentioning Eva Cassidy. I looked her up because I didn’t recognize her name. That’s got to be the wonderful woman who sang a completely original, heartfelt version of my favorite chestnut "Over the Rainbow" on NPR on my way home from work years ago. I could never remember her name and never heard her again. Soon as I googled her name that song popped up. Simply unforgettable voice and delivery. I’m going to be able to find her albums now at long last. Thanks so much. You’ve made my day.

Mike

Like to ad:

Liza Minelli - Cabaret. More power than the rest together.

Mirella Freni - La Bohéme (best male to Pavarotti). Classical but you
can´t oversee her just because of that...

Janis Joplin - for the rawness and feeling (Me and Bobby McGee)

Nina Simone - for the interpretetation (Mr. Bojangles)