Best DVD for my System

I am looking for a DVD player to go with my system. I have the following equipment:

Krell HTS processor
Krell showcase 5
Revel C30
Revel M20 x4
Revel B15 x2
Audioquest diamond interconnects
Pioneer elite 61” rear projection

I was looking at the Sony DVP-S9000ES. I thought maybe I would have the transport mod by www.empiricalaudio.com . I am looking for a great DVD transport. What would you buy?
coxhaus

Showing 1 response by jb0194

I recently bought a new Sony DVP-NS9100ES for $849 to replace a Sony 9000ES, and find the audio quality at least as good on DVD (w/Cary pre/pro and Bryston amp). Video quality using 480i component output is noticeably better, and I've yet to try its HDMI output (waitin' on a cable). I'm very happy with the decision.

For me, the next feature to prompt a major HT component upgrade will not be on the video side; rather, it'll be the widespread presence of discrete 7.1 audio on HD DVD discs. Processor-generated 7.1 is much like "processed" cheese products - often no more enjoyable than the cheese we "cut" and sometimes less so, depending on the context and implementation. The DTS folks just released hardware to support discreet 7.1 for HD DVDs, but how just inclined recording engineers will be to mix soundtracks at that level of complexity and how satisfying an artistic standard results, en masse, from their work are huge uncertainties.

Just my two pennies...