Best DIY power cable. Why not make?

Ok perhaps I don't get it.  You have hot, neutral, ground and connectors.  I am looking for advise from those that have found the secret sauce in making power cables or at least those that have had great success.  With all the quality cable and connectors why not make your own?  I refuse to pay $2,000 plus for a power cable that would take a hour to build.  I am seeking your guidance and suggestions.  Thanks!   
goose

Showing 2 responses by sophie999

I am building a new stereo system with tube amplifier (most likely quicksilver mid monos) and LSI 15 polk towers (capable of bi-amping) .

Wanted to see if I can make my own speaker wires to save money and get better quality. My alternative was AQ 4. Really not willing to spend any more. Need about 5-6 feet for each cable. Never have done this before, but did some reading on the subject.

After reading multiple forums, decided to focus on Dueland tin plated copper wire, which has excellent reviews for the price.

My thoughts:
1. Buy 12, 16, 20, and 26 awg wires of equal length (26 solid core, others are stranded).
2. Braid all 4 wires together. Strip all 4 wires on both ends from insulation.
3. On the amp end, connect all 4 wires to the binding posts (bare wire or through connectors, undecided yet). Amp is not capable of by-amping.
4. On the speaker side, connect 26, 20, and 16 awg wires to the upper post (high frequencies), and connect 12 awg wire to the lower post (low frequencies).

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? Good or bad idea? Can I really screw this up and burn the amp?

If I use terminations, what brand is good? Low mass? Not looking for something very expensive as am I doing this to try to avoid paying $$$$ for brand name cables but still get better sound than my current 12 awg monoprice wire.

My primary goal, since I am not an engineer or electrician, is to not damage the expensive new equipment.

Thanks very much.

@lak the idea of several wires came from some of the solid core cables, which use several different conductors of different sizes.

Is there a huge advantage in twisting conductors around each other vs just running them next to each other?

@ Williewonka: So I can  just use the cheap monoprice wire for the ground component next to higher quality wire for the signal component?

Thanks