best diy or used somewhat small speaker 1200

I want to upgrade a pair of B&W 602s2's that are my mains for HT. I am running them with a Sunfire SG2 and a Sherbourn 5/1500a - 200wpc @ 8 ohm. I can do DIY, but would prefer to do a kit components to get 'matched' parts. Thanks
truthrider

Showing 3 responses by sean

While it would be stretching your budget if you went with the kit from Madisound, the Joseph D'Appolito designed Thor using Seas drivers looks to be pretty phenomenal for the money. If you were tight for cash and have the necessary tools and woodworking skills, you could simply pick up all of the electronics involved and build your own cabinets. While I do have some questions about these speakers that were not answered in their review in Audio Xpress, they would still be VERY high on my list of speakers to check out in that price range. If i didn't already have a million other projects going on, i would probably buy a pair just to check out. They look THAT good on paper.... Sean
>
Truthrider, hope the Totem's do everything that you want them to and even more : ) Vince's "little" speakers with "little drivers" are kind of amazing so long as you don't want to raise the roof. Sean
>
Personally, i think that the center should match the timbre of the mains as closely as possible. Given the fact that you have Totem's and Vince typically likes using smaller drivers to begin with, he just might have a slim-line design that could squeeze into the required space. Try dropping him a line or giving him a call. Sean
>