Best DAC+Volume Control under $1000 (used)

Hi,

I just got an Innuos Zen Mk3 server/streamer, which is doing great, but now looking for a DAC WITH good volume control so it can feed my Amplifier (Classe CA-2100).

What's the best option out there... I KNOW, a separate pre-amp would be best, BUT I don't have the budget, or room... so what's a good DAC with volume control that I can get in the used market under $1000?

The ones that come to mind are Mytek Brooklyn, RME  ADI2DACFS, and DAC Magic.  I was dead set on Denafrips, BUT it doesn't have remote or volume control! 

PS. I also have a Denon Receiver that's being used for my HT, alternatively, I could use that as my pre-amp, but wanted to keep it separate as I think it probably would sound better if not fed through a 9-channel receiver... or am I wrong?
alexb76
this Chase RLC-1 Remote Line Controller will give you remote volume for 4 inputs

thus you can use a DAC without volume control, lots more choices within your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265367179857?hash=item3dc91dd251:g:lPIAAOSwzNRhbItR

It needs the remote to operate, this one's sealed remote means it was never used.

I have tried several times in 3 systems over the years: my friends and I cannot hear any difference with or without using it. 120db s/n.

With a system that produces good/great imaging, you discover errant tracks that benefit a lot from a minor balance tweak, the unit has remote balance.

Thanks guys... what about using a straight DAC without volume control, and just connecting it to my Receiver CD-input, then pre-out to my Amp?

If that route, which of these do you recommend?

- Denafrips Ares
- Chord Cutest

PS. My system is:
- Zen MK3 streamer/server
- Classe CA-2100 solid state amp
- B&W 805S speakers
- Denon X4700H receiver (could be pre-amp, or skipped)
My vote is for the RME ADI-2 Fs.

Chord Qutest if using the receiver as the preamp since you only have single-ended inputs.
I've only heard the Qutest and it's a nice DAC. I've got a Benchmark DAC3 which is pretty close to the RME. I've used it direct to the AHB2 as well as through the HPA4. Sounds great.

IMO, I'd opt for transparency at the source and fiddle around with tone using preamp / amp.
what about using a straight DAC without volume control, and just connecting it to my Receiver CD-input, then pre-out to my Amp?
Oh good God NO!  Running the Zen and a decent DAC through an AVR’s preamp section is heresy and will destroy their goodness.  Get the best DAC with volume control you can now and add a stereo preamp down the road if needed/desired.  The Soekris 2541 or Gustard X26 are both great options if you can stretch a little bit.